Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

how to hide - compare products, community poll

ZenMasta

Total Posts:  108

Are these blocks hard coded into templates or is there a way I can enable/disable these in the backend? I\’m new to magento but have experience with joomla and being able to control which modules display etc.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Total Posts:  132
Perth.au

Welcome !
I have just spent 6 weeks in Joomla land so I know where you are coming from..
Unfortunately there are no module check boxes in the mage ...
However, balancing the steep learning curve is the very logical (don’t laugh..) structure and the clean xhtml output.

This may help…
Structure-
The Structural Blocks(user positions?) are defined in app>design>frontend>*Your_int>*Your_theme>layout>****..xml
start with page.xml , catalog.xml

This includes adding items to header ect.,
Pages are \’built\’ using these blocks by the 1-column.phtml, 2-column.phtml ect pages

The Structural Blocks contain Content Blocks which depend on what type of page you are viewing
eg app\\design\\frontend\\*Your_int\\*Your_theme\\layout\\catalog.xml
(You can include and remove these blocks via a page\’s custom xml update or the xml layout page)

These Content blocks contain the \’link\’ to the code ( phtml file) eg
<reference name=\"top.menu\">
<block type=\"catalog/navigation\" name=\"catalog.topnav\" template=\"catalog/navigation/top.phtml\"/>
</reference>
means app/design/frontend/*Your_int/*Your_theme/layout/catalog/navigation/top.phtml placed in the the topMenu block

eg Top Menu.
To create custom Top menu edit top.html
Total remove it by commenting it out in page.xml

Sometimes the phtml files contain more blocks that include other phtml files wink

but hopefully you get the idea

Have a good look at the admin back end with sample data -Save many hours by using rather than re-creating built in features.
create some test static blocks and CMS pages, play with the catalog, products and attributes

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZenMasta

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will have to spend a lot of time getting familiar with this. Are there any online docs or tutorials for this? That seems to be my problem so far with magento. I found a really great tutorial to install but as far as configure/customizing I can\\\’t seem to find anything beyond that. Searching the forums has been disabled for a while :(

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kara Heinrichs
Guru

Total Posts:  482
aa, mi, us

Actually, the poll you can turn off via the Admin panel (ADMIN> System> Configuration> Advanced).  Set Mage_Poll to “Disable” and it’ll go away without fussing with the code, just like in Joomla.

Product comparisons are harder and aren’t quite as clean as a stand-alone module. You can turn off the comparison list/box in the right side bar by editing catalog.xml. Comment out or delete the line that calls the compare block.

<default>
   <
reference name="right">
      <!--<
block type="core/template" before="cart_sidebar" name="catalog.compare.sidebar" template="catalog/product/compare/sidebar.phtml"/> -->
      <
block type="core/template" name="right.permanent.callout" template="callouts/right_col.phtml"/>
   </
reference>
</default>

Unfortunately the “add to compare” link still shows up on category pages and product pages and you’ll also need to go into those PHTML files and comment out or delete that from those as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZenMasta

Cool thanks for that info. I may end up keeping the product comparison I was just sort of grouping all sidebar items together because I wasn’t sure if they were enabled like joomla etc. I’ll definitely be removing the poll but I will most likely want to use the position that has the back to school and customer service images for promotions. I’m surprised those aren’t data driven. But I suppose there will be or probably are extensions that handle that type of feature.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Perth.au

Thanks for the swift correction Kara

just to reiterate

-Save many hours by using rather than re-creating built in features.

Don’t limit searches just to the forums as there is a lot of information around in blogs ect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ZenMasta

Hey G,
Are you suggesting to take the exising xml/phtml files and sort of use them as a template for when I want to add/change things?

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

ZenMasta - 31 March 2010 11:01 AM

Are these blocks hard coded into templates or is there a way I can enable/disable these in the backend? I\’m new to magento but have experience with joomla and being able to control which modules display etc.

Since you are new, I thought I would let you know another cool little trick that might save you some time tracking down the bits and pieces that make up blocks, pages, etc.

You can turn on/off template and block hints from within admin.  This will change the front-end look of your site by adding “template hints”, which are kind-of like call-outs that let you know what templates and blocks are being used to display certain bits of code you may be interested in editing.  Without these hints, sometimes coding for Magento look-and-feel is like looking for a needle in a hay-stack.

Try this:

1. From Admin go to System/Advanced/Developer
2. Change the “Current Configuration Scope” drop-down menu (upper left) from Default to “Your Store”
3. Uncheck the “Use Website” check box next to “Template Hints” and “Add Block Names to Hints”
4. Set them both to “Yes”
5. Go to the front-end view of your site (i.e. http://www.yourdomain.com) and refresh the page

This should add hints to your site that tell you which blocks and template pages (.phtml) are being used, and what their paths are.

To change this back to normal just revert the steps.  You will have to refresh your browser.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gyniolatry

Perth.au

@ZenMasta

many apologies as I must have missed you post, but yes !!
As with Joomla , Mage. utilises overides.

Use the existing default layout/templates xml/phtml.
add them to your theme’s folder (maintaining the directory structure ) and Mage. will use it.

eg.  (some templates require a form update)

Copy your app\design\frontend\base\default\template\contacts\form.phtml
to
app\design\frontend\default\YOURTHEME\template\contacts\form.phtml

Make your changes to the phtml in you theme and Mage will use this file.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community