Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom attributes not working in advanced search

medlington

Total Posts:  143

Hi,

Iv added some custom attributes to a site and made them available in the advanced search function but whenever I search any of the custom fields it just returns as blank?

searching within the other fields seems to work fine

any ideas?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I’m on 1.1.6 and my custom attributes search works fine.
Are your attributes used as configurable attributes for your products?  If so, it doesn’t make sense to search on them and will probably give no results.

Magento Community
Magento Community

medlington

yes they are configurable attributes for the products.

I may have to explain that Im not using Magento in the conventional way. Im creating a tourist information site about Kenya and each product is actually a business listing.

I have setup ‘City’ as an attribute of each procuct to reflect where the businesses is based and want to be able to search for all business within that city. Maybe I should be adapting the layered navigation for this purpose but I want to be able to view all business within a city and not limit it to searching within a catagory of businesses

I guess I could also setup a new catagory for each city and then assign all the businesses to the relevant city.

Whichever method I use I still think that theres something not right with the search. Why does it not make any sense to search configurable attributes? Surely there are alot of attributes you may want to add to a product that you want to be searchable. Or have I got the wrong idea of what configurable attributes are?

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Yes, you have a slightly skewed concept of what a configurable attribute is. I think what you are talking about would be called a Custom attribute in Magento.
Custom attributes are anything you think up that your product has that doesn’t come in the default attribute set. Your City attribute would be one of these.
Configurable attributes are for configurable products. The value is chosen from a list by the customer, so it’s not actually stored in the configurable product (so the search would show nothing).

For your setup, sounds like you need to edit the City attribute and take off the configurable part. Designate it to be Filterable so it will work with the layered navigation. If you choose Filterable with results, layered navigation will show only those Cities that products have values for, whereas if you choose Filterable with no results it will show all the values regardless of whether there are any products or not (that’s why it has to be a select type-not a text type).

Magento Community
Magento Community

medlington

Thanks for the info, There are still quite alot of things that I dont quite get but I am starting to get my head around this programme now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community