Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Group Custom Option

fransiska

Total Posts:  4

Hi everyone,
i want to ask about custom options of product. Hope somebody can help me…
I created a configurable product with custom options (17 items) which attribute set is “ProductRx”.. And i want create another configurable products (more than 100 products) with the same attribute set and options. I think it is not efficient if i create 17 custom options for each product. Can you help me how to solve this problem. Here is the list of attribute and custom options:

Attributes:
1. State
2. Dosage

Custom Options:
1. Pet’s Name ->text field
2. Pet’s species -->drop down
3. Pet Sex -->radio button
4. Does your pet have allergies? --> radio button
5.etc…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

If I understand you correctly, you are on the right direction but somehow got the ‘attribute’ and ‘attribute set’ mix up.

Attribute set is like a ‘folder’, where you put all your attributes in it for better organization.

‘State’ is an attribute, ‘dosage’ is another attribute, so the ‘Pet’s Name’, ‘Pet’s Species and so on are all attributes.

Suppose ‘Lacy’ is a pet name, so she is a ‘custom option’ of pet name.
‘Male’ and ‘Female’ are the custom options of Pet’s gender.

Hope this helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I think you’re going about it the wrong way. The attributes should describe the product you are selling, not the customer you are selling it to.
If the product has a dosage attribute, you can have a different dosage for each product, and even make it configurable by the customer so that one product can represent multiple choices of dosage.
But information that you collect about your customer does not belong in the product attributes. You could gather this information using your own entry form and attach it to the order, but I just don’t see why you’d want to make it part of the product.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community