Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Another question about configurable attributes

mikraft

Total Posts:  2

So far from what I have seen with Magento has been great and will help me tremendously with the building of our online store. However, there is one major facet that we need (that has other developers running). Here’s the deal…

I am setting up a webstore for a cabinet company that will allow customers to order all their products online. These are custom cabinets with all sizes available. However, here’s the catch, we need to be able to set parameters for each size attribute. Normally, cabinets come in 3-inch increments. They are allowing people to purchase sizes between that (ex. normal cabinet size up from 12” would be 15”, they allow any size between).

Now the tough part… for the group sizing between each sizes (ex. 12"-15" the group sizing is any size between that) will have the price of the next available size. For instance, if a customer purchases a cabinets that is 13 1/8” the price set will be for a 15”. We need a feature that will allow them to type the size they want into an input box and will calculate that price automatically.

Does Magento support this? Is there a way to program it in to make it become a feature. This has been a real hassle and has had many developers running or wanting $25,000-$50,000.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

I think the way we had initially done the tier pricing would work for your setup, since we allowed increasing of the price when the tire goes up. We recently changed this functionality and are now taking the minimum of the prices so this will not work out-of-the-box for you.

Please contact me when we release the first stable version of Magento and we can try and find a solution for your problem.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikraft

Total Posts:  2

Sure thing. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

@mikraft

I’m working on the same thing for an air filter company.  They have all sorts of standard sizes, 10” x 10”, 12” x 12”, etc… but they want the customer to also be able to order any size in between: 10 & 1/4” x 13 & 1/2”.

I’m interested about your request for a feature where the user enters a fractional size and the system finds the closest match.

Are you using the configurable product so the user can select the dimension range as one option (12"-15") ?
Are you using the layered navigation to help classify the products by their dimensions?
How many dimensions are on each product (width, height, depth) ?
Do you need to record the exact dimensions with the order, or can the larger size be shipped to the customer and cut to fit on site?
If the user enters a fractional size does this need a new SKU or part number?

I think we have very similar product catalogs.  Perhaps we can start a magento group specifically for manufacturers so we can keep track of all the settings and extra modules needed to sell built-to-order products in the best way.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community