Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing Images via CSV file

cehash

Total Posts:  4

hello
need a little help here
[i think] i have done everything right
the csv, the files
but the upload still does not work

it imports the products but without images and vizibility [this one has something to do with character encoding i think, but i don’t mind so much]

am i missing something?

i’ve attached the screenshot of the import folder
and here it’s the csv

“store”,"websites”,"attribute_set”,"type”,"sku”,"category_ids”,"has_options”,"price”,"weight”,"name”,"url_key”,"gift_message_available”,"meta_title”,"meta_description”,"thumbnail”,"small_image”,"image”,"custom_design”,"options_container”,"page_layout”,"url_path”,"thumbnail_label”,"small_image_label”,"image_label”,"meta_keyword”,"description”,"short_description”,"custom_layout_update”,"status”,"tax_class_id”,"visibility”,"manufacturer”,"culoare”,"pachet”,"pixuripasta”,"enable_googlecheckout”,"qty”,"min_qty”,"use_config_min_qty”,"is_qty_decimal”,"backorders”,"use_config_backorders”,"min_sale_qty”,"use_config_min_sale_qty”,"max_sale_qty”,"use_config_max_sale_qty”,"is_in_stock”,"low_stock_date”,"notify_stock_qty”,"use_config_notify_stock_qty”,"manage_stock”,"use_config_manage_stock”,"stock_status_changed_automatically”,"product_name”,"store_id”,"product_type_id”,"product_status_changed”,"product_changed_websites”,"culoarecorp"
“admin”,"base”,"1pixpasta”,"simple”,"1101421000015”,"44”,"0”,"22.6000”,"0.1000","PIX BIC CRISTAL, negru, 20 bucati”,"pix-bic-cristal-negru-20-bucati","FoloseÅŸte configurare","PIX BIC CRISTAL, negru, 20 bucati”,"”,"/015.jpg”,"/015.jpg”,"/015.jpg”,"","Block after Info Column”,"”,"pix-bic-cristal-negru-20-bucati.html”,"”,"”,"","birotica papetarie, office 1, hartie copiator","Pix de unica folosinta cu corp din plastic transparent<br />Capac ventilat in culoarea rezervei<br />Varf mediu<br />Lungime de scriere cca 2500m<br />20 bucati<br />Negru","PIX BIC CRISTAL, negru, 20 bucati"," “,"Activat”,"default”,"Nicăieri”,"BIC”,"Negru","20 bucati","Pixuri unica folosinta”,"”,"0.0000”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"0”,"1”,"1.0000”,"1”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0","2010-01-15 11:39:00”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"1”,"1","PIX BIC CRISTAL, negru, 20 bucati”,"0”,"simple”,"”,"","”
“admin”,"base”,"1pixpasta”,"simple”,"1101421000020”,"44”,"0”,"8.3200”,"0.1000","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 4 bucati”,"pix-bic-cristal-albastru-4-bucati","FoloseÅŸte configurare","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 4 bucati”,"”,"/020.jpg”,"/020.jpg”,"/020.jpg”,"","Block after Info Column”,"”,"pix-bic-cristal-albastru-4-bucati.html”,"”,"”,"","birotica papetarie, office 1, hartie copiator","Pix de unica folosinta cu corp din plastic transparent<br />Capac ventilat in culoarea rezervei<br />Varf mediu<br />Lungime de scriere cca 2500m<br />4bucati<br />Albastru","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 4 bucati"," “,"Activat”,"default”,"Nicăieri”,"BIC”,"Albastru","4 bucati","Pixuri unica folosinta”,"”,"0.0000”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"0”,"1”,"1.0000”,"1”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0","2010-01-15 11:39:00”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"1”,"1","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 4 bucati”,"0”,"simple”,"”,"","”
“admin”,"base”,"1pixpasta”,"simple”,"1101421000025”,"44”,"0”,"22.6000”,"0.1000","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 20 bucati”,"pix-bic-cristal-albastru-20-bucati","FoloseÅŸte configurare","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 20 bucati”,"”,"/025.jpg”,"/025.jpg”,"/025.jpg”,"","Block after Info Column”,"”,"pix-bic-cristal-albastru-20-bucati.html”,"”,"”,"","birotica papetarie, office 1, hartie copiator","Pix de unica folosinta cu corp din plastic transparent<br />Capac ventilat in culoarea rezervei<br />Varf mediu<br />Lungime de scriere cca 2500m<br />20 bucati<br />Albastru","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 20 bucati"," “,"Activat”,"default”,"Nicăieri”,"BIC”,"Albastru","20 bucati","Pixuri unica folosinta”,"”,"0.0000”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"0”,"1”,"1.0000”,"1”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0","2010-01-15 11:39:01”,"0.0000”,"1”,"0”,"1”,"1","PIX BIC CRISTAL, albastru, 20 bucati”,"0”,"simple”,"”,"","”

Image Attachments
screen.JPG

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

cehash

Total Posts:  4

i got it
is not /var/import
it is /media/import

Magento Community
Magento Community

digitalcomputernetwork

Total Posts:  11

I want to know how to use external hosted product images.  I have about 2000 items to import.  The perfect solutions would allow me to import the category, product, and use external images.  Im thinking that it might be possible to add a field to the import process that stores the image url in the database. Then I would go change all the codes that referenced the old file structure.  I would try to make it similar to the way that the product name or category is stored and referenced.

I cant do this myself but it sounds like it would work.  I hope someone smarts finds this post.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr-Moo

Total Posts:  12

Hey everyone,

Everything on the first page helped me get this working. For people who want to do this as fast as possible (I have 7,000 products), you can remove all the columns except for the three image columns (Image, small, thumbnail).

This allowed me to upload all the products & descriptions first, then upload images in a separate CSV file.

Hope that helped someone!

Magento Community
Magento Community

benau

Total Posts:  26

Just a note to say that using Open Office Calc to edit CSV files for Magento on Apple OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard works nicely without the need to unmung the CSV with Terminal.

Excel on the other hand has proven to be torture - keeps crashing on OSX when trying to open CSV.

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnshumaanBakshi

Total Posts:  33
Delhi, India

It works for me perfectly fine, I am on Magento 1.4.0.1, few pointers.

1. The images should be in media/import/
2, There respective names should be mentioned in the CSV, better is to export products 1st and then take an all products import and then add the images names to this file and finally upload the edited file.

There is no rocket science to it, it\’s kind a simple.

Thanx
Anshumaan Bakshi

Magento Community
Magento Community

amarjits

Total Posts:  2

Hi All,

all of you seems to be happy with what u did…

if we want to import products with no/one image per item...it works....

BUT two issues:

1). it takes about 6-7 seconds per item...which is a very long time .....so for abt 60 records we have to wait roughly one hour....isn’t this abnormal ?

2). If we want to import MULTIPLE images per item...there is a GALLERY Column which we can add....if works also....but...if we reimporting the same item....instead of overwriting the previous records “gallery” field ....it adds to it...means...say an item SKU: “XYZ”....has two pics in the beginging ("xyz1.jpg”,"xyz2.jpg")....and now i want to change its description to something else....and then reimport the file....what it does is....FOR ALL OTHER FIELDS...it overwrites...but...gallery field...it adds up....so we end up having four pics now ("xyz1.jpg”,"xyz2.jpg”,"xyz1.jpg",xyz2.jpg").....and this goes on and on and on...(ANY SUGGESSTIONS?)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mr-Moo

Total Posts:  12

amarjits - 28 May 2010 09:11 PM

Hi All,
1). it takes about 6-7 seconds per item...which is a very long time .....so for abt 60 records we have to wait roughly one hour....isn’t this abnormal ?
)

Not at all. It really depends on your server. Remember, your server is taking that CSV, calling your SQL database, and writing all that data into the database. There are tons of fields in the CSV, so as you can imagine, 6-7 seconds per item is a piece of cake compared to hand entering.

For me to process my 7,000 items it took roughly 12 hours. I let it import over night.

Cheers,

Magento Community
Magento Community

runawaykinms

Total Posts:  80
United States

I see this is a very old topic, but I had a question in reference to it.

I have got the import working with images. However, the exclude box is checked on the product images tabs under the product. What am I doing that is causing this box to be checked?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

Okay - after having solved this problem a couple years back with an older version, I’m now having it all over again.  I’ve done everything that I can think of to get my images imported, but it’s not working.  This is for an entirely new site than the one I was working on before.  I’m running 1.4.1.1.

I’m using Open Office to manage my csv file, and EVERY OTHER FIELD imports with no problem except for the image fields.

I’ve tried:

/media/import/…
media/import/…
absolute path to the image
changed all media and subfolder permissions to 777

I’ve tried numerous times today to get this import done, but NOTHING is working.  There was another thread dealing with image import issues with 1.4.1.1 but there isn’t anything of value there.

Anyone else using 1.4.1.1 having issues using dataflow to import images via csv?  I’m at a loss on how to get this working.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kamark

Total Posts:  23

Same problem cant import image 1.4.1.1 :S

It says 100% then you check no images.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Did anyone using 1.4.1.1 have any issues?  I guess it seems to be a limited problem and other 1.4.1.1 users aren’t having any trouble.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

NO ONE else is having this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

mptorr

Total Posts:  62

I can import images via CSV and pre-uploading them to the media/import folder.

But some of these images are appearing cut off on the product page —anyone else know how to solve this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

niki street

Total Posts:  23

Hia,

Could anyone help me please?
I have uploaded my 3000 products with no problems view the csv file, but none of my images show.. i have put them all in the right place on the server, but if i go and look at a product on the admin, they all have “NO IMAGE” checked, even though my images are in the list!!.. surely i dont have to go through every product and uncheck “exclude”???

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community