Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Importing Images via CSV file

march hare

Total Posts:  41

mikeinspain ... thank you very much for that information on getting images uploaded using DataFlow etc. Worked a treat, you have saved me untold pain and suffering. Muchisimas Gracias =8¬)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Frederik Krautwald

Total Posts:  58
Reykjavík, Iceland

Sousa - 05 March 2009 10:36 AM

TIP:
Only work with .jpg
Don’t work with .JPG

Regards

THANK YOU!!!!

I have wasted so many hours, pulling my hair and biting my teeth. Why the f… is this info not loud and clearly published by Magento? And why on earth won’t it work with upper-case file endings? Just beats me!

Again THANK YOU!!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

pollence

Total Posts:  55
Australia

hiii,
can u give me one sample image for your CSV file, ???? i cant upload it…
thank you..

Magento Community
Magento Community

Perfume Club

Total Posts:  4

when i export my products in x-cart the csv doesnt show any columns with images so i cant just copy and paste and formate the column for the magento import ;(

any ideas? thanks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

Perfume Club

i just noticed in the image location it says i can transfer the images to the database rather then use filesystem, you think this will allow me to export the images in csv afterwards?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Perfume Club

k so i just exported the sql and was able to get a list of the images ;p

Magento Community
Magento Community

invision-studios

Total Posts:  20

I’ve seen a couple people post here that they were having problems with .JPG vs .jpg.

Did you know that in UNIX/LINUX filesystems, filenames are case sensitive? I’m wondering if that’s the issue here.

In Windows and Mac OS, filenames are NOT case sensitive, so you couldn’t have these files in the same folder/directory:
image.JPG and image.jpg.

In UNIX/LINUX, both image files listed above can be in the same directory.

Try renaming all your files with all lowercase filenames, and be sure your CSV reflects that before importing into Magento.

Sherm Stevens
iNvision Studios

Magento Community
Magento Community

Azim

Total Posts:  97
NY, USA

Hello guys,
I am having some trouble with the images upload. I have more than 10K products and they are in csv file and each product contains a link to the image, Now i am wondering if it is possible to import an image from an external link which is not on localhost.
I really need to get this working.
And BTW how would u delete products from the admin panel in bulk. I try to delete 100 or 200 products it gives me error some times blank page and sometimes error about memory limit.
Please help .

Magento Community
Magento Community

sandusky1977

Total Posts:  14

None of these instructions have worked, is there a way to manually add the image links to the catalog_product_entity_media_gallery table and the catalog_product_entity_media_gallery_value and catalog_product_entity_text. with an mysql query???

I guess I’d need it to query for sku’s then update the tables with the link info, or would I have to write a php system that would look up the sku’s add the table links and move the files to the /media/product/catalog/m/o/mo0002342.jpg folders?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jsb

Total Posts:  1

Take a look at this:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/41000/

Following those instructions solved it for me. I was setting up a demo store for a client and trying to use the same image for multiple products. I thought I could just copy the path for an image I had uploaded through the admin, but that didn’t work.

The key points for me:

Instead of the full path from the exported csv:
/d/i/diamond.jpg

I just used:
/diamond.jpg (with the / )

Then make sure the image(s) you want to use are in:  media/import

I’m using the Mac version of Excel, so I saved my csv as ‘CSV - Windows’.
Then opened it in BBEdit and changed my line endings from Windows to Unix.  (keyboard shortcut: Command-Control-Comma)

Save it. Upload it to var/import. Run the Import All profile with that file you just uploaded.

Problem solved for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lynts

Total Posts:  102

i know this is an old topic but i want to add something, if you have more then 2000 products there is a chance your server wont add any more above this, you will need to go to your hosting and have them change the allowed images most hosts truncate to only 2000 you will need to ask tehm to change that to whatever you need for images, this is not a magento problem but its a hosting problem

Magento Community
Magento Community

itliveweb.com

Total Posts:  3
IT Live Web Design and Development company

IT Live Web Design and Development company

I am working to import product using csv in magento all things are correct but it is not showing image if any one can help thanks in advance.
www.itliveweb.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

trogfish

Total Posts:  42

Regarding the 2000 file limit; this is usually an FTP thing.  If you use other methods, it’s not nescessarily a problem.  A work around is to use mutliple subdirectories within the media/import folder.  You must also pre-pend the file location in your .csv for import, too.

For example, let’s say you have 4000 items in your store, or for a particular brand.  Let’s pretend you sell clothing.

Try to subdivide like this.
media/import/shoes ....this can have 2000 items
media/import/shirts ....this can have 2000 items
media/import/hats .... this can have 2000 items
....etc.

As noted, your CSV file must now read:

/shoes/brownshoe.jpg

whereas befrore, it would have only said “brownshoe.jpg”

My host has a limit of 3000 items per directory.  I have two brands that force me to do it this way.
---
An alternative method than FTP, (and usually much faster) is to use wget.  Google it, learn it, love it!

You can do things like create a simple text file which has all the URL’s for your images, probably stored on your vendor’s site.
example, in the text file called ‘picture_list.txt;
http://somesite.com/brownshoe.jpg
http://somesite.com/blueshirt.jpg
...etc.

At the command line of your linux host simply call

wget -i picture_list.txt
and all of the images in the text file will be directly downloaded to the folder.

This saves the hassle of downloading to your desktop, and then FTP’ing back to your webhost....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ajixo

Total Posts:  87

i have uploaded the data but all the images are excluded what do i need to do to ensure that the images are not excluded

Magento Community
Magento Community

trogfish

Total Posts:  42

stella, not exactly sure what you mean by ‘excluded’ ?!?  Please be more specific....  Do you mean that the images are not being imported when you run your import file?  Keep in mind that lowercase vs. uppercase CAN matter on Linux/Unix servers.  It is most likely that or a typo.  If you have all your pictures in a folder called “SHOES”, your import profile cannot be “shoes/brownshoe.jpg” it must be “SHOES/brownshoe.jpg”.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community