Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 6
Importing Images via CSV file

RobOrr

Total Posts:  218

No problem - the only thing that I can think of is that there is some sort of problem with my spreadsheet that I’m using.  I COMPLETELY reinstalled Magento and recreated the database and tried to re-run the import, but ran in to the same problem. I’ll be working on it again this evening.  The profile just never runs.  The window opens, but nothing happens.  Have no idea.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

buyaggressive

Total Posts:  22

Hey,

But how to import more than 1 image for each item.

As far I can see it only imports 1 image.

how do I indicate additional images?

Regards.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

Mike - just wanted to update - It finally worked!  I had to separate my data in to 10 different files, but I’ve got all my products associated with my products.  I’ve just got to figure out how to run my export now - I can’t even get it to run a stock export with only a couple fields selected.

Thanks for the help!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

buyaggressive - 03 November 2008 01:04 PM

Hey,

But how to import more than 1 image for each item.

As far I can see it only imports 1 image.

how do I indicate additional images?

Regards.

if you search the forums there are a couple different threads regarding multiple image importing.  And If I remember correctly, there is a module that you can use to import for a gallery view.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilicrashes

Total Posts:  30

mikeinspain - 15 September 2008 10:01 AM

Hey everyone..

I know this is a popular topic, which given its popularity suggests that it needs looking at.

I have a little over 3700 products that I have successfully imported via an CSV file including all other relevant data such as categories etc…

I now wish to populate my CSV file with the relevant image/s.  Initially there is only one image for each product and 80% of the images are sharing the same filename as the sku #.

Now I hitting a brick wall trying to get these images to display on the main store.  I have uploaded images directly into the media/catalog/products folder as per the the images that have been placed on the site manually and I have uploaded the images into the media/import section.

Neither way is showing any images.  Can someone help guide in the right direction?

can you please upload your csv file so I can see how it is stuctured? I am having problems doing imports of ANYTHING and I need to see it to compare it with the mapping tool..

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobOrr

The easiest way to get your spreasheet set up correctly is to manually create a product through the ‘manage products’ area.  Fill it out as much as you can - it doesn’t have to be a real product.  It will give you all of the column headers that magento uses and will show you how that data is organized. Then - run the default profile “export all products”.  The file should show up in your folder directory “var/export”.  You can then download that file and add your info to it.  Then, take your data and add it to the sheet - you can even overwrite the example product you created.  Don’t mess with the column headers (use the default mapping - it’s easier to make your data match Magento than the other way around) and make sure that you select the check box for column headers on your import profile.  Upload your file to your var/import file and make sure your path matches correctly in the profile (local vs. ftp) and you have the names matching correctly. Save your profile and then run it - you should be able to see your products under manage products area.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lilicrashes

Total Posts:  30

Thanks.. I figured that out…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sousa
Guru

Total Posts:  348
Porto, Portugal

im trying to import product images, but nothing that i found on forum make it work.

Can someone tell me exactly how i do this.

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

frostbytes

Total Posts:  114
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Using the information contained in several threads here in the forums, just today I was able to import images via a CSV file in Magento 1.1.8.  For the sake of documenting what worked this is what I did:

1) In the CSV file I specified the photo filename in all three “thumbnail”, “small_image”, and “image” columns.  Comments:

- I only used the filename.  (No pathname.)
- I prefixed the filename with a forward slash.  (e.g. “/filename.jpg” with no quotes.)
- I used the same image for all three sizes.  Magento seems to have handled resizing.

2) I FTPed the images to the /media/import folder.  Comments:

- With my server the full domain is /domains/mydomainname.com/public_html/shop/media/import.
- /shop/ is the location of my Magento installation.

3) I ran the import profile.  Comments:

- All 100 items I tried imported successfully.
- On average I’d say that each item took about 1 second.
- I have several thousand more products to import in this way over the next few days.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted their instructions and comments here.

[L]

Magento Community
Magento Community

maTu

Total Posts:  42
Germany, Saxony, Görlitz

Wow ... Thanks Mike ... That works really good wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bowen

Total Posts:  37

Worked for me too!  thank you for the helpful posts. cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sousa
Guru

Total Posts:  348
Porto, Portugal

TIP:
Only work with .jpg
Don’t work with .JPG

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

avintel

Total Posts:  147
Southern California

mikeinspain & frostbytes:

thanks for clarifying and simplifying everything.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rwone

Total Posts:  174

frostbytes - 05 December 2008 04:42 PM

Using the information contained in several threads here in the forums, just today I was able to import images via a CSV file in Magento 1.1.8.  For the sake of documenting what worked this is what I did....

Thank you frostbytes! i’m going to try this.

I’m in the process of adding the image file names to my csv file and using the following formula in excel which may be of use to some people:

say you have three columns - small_image, thumbnail and image - in front of your sku column, add this formula to the first cell of your small_image column:

=CONCATENATE("/”,E2,".jpg")

where E2 is the column that contains the SKU. 

this takes the SKU and turns it into /sku.jpg

then place the cursor at the bottom right corner of the cell with the formula in it and the cursor will change into a + (fill handle) sign and you can then drag either horizontally or vertically into the cells where you want the same formula applied.

so drag all the way down in the small_image column and it will be filled with the forward slash, followed by the relative SKU, followed by the .jpg file extension.

hope this can help someone!

if anyone else has any ideas on making mass data editing in magento more efficient pls feel free to share!

thanks!

(now just need to rename all my images :\)

Magento Community
Magento Community

rwone

Total Posts:  174

frostbytes - 05 December 2008 04:42 PM

3) I ran the import profile…

Hi frostbytes,

Did you upload the csv file to a directory (eg var/import) and select the ‘Local/Remote Server/Local Server’ option in Data Transfer?

Or select the ‘Interactive’ option.

Thanks!

Edit: I chose the interactive option and it WORKED!!! Amazing!! Thanks to everyone! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 6