Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to separate frontend and backend (admin) in different server

edenpra

Total Posts:  6

Hi,

How to separate between the front-end and back-end server into different server? The main purpose is to enhance security so nobody will be able to go to admin section if there is a security hole somewhere in the front-end.

Basically let the front-end server open to general internet and the back-end server just to open to internet network and only internal staffs do back-end management. This is a kind of layered architecture.

Thanks!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Silverthorne, Inc.

Total Posts:  1

I don’t have the exact configuration changes you need to do to make this happen, but it should be possible.

All the services are enabled in the xml configuration files. If you don’t want the Admin modules to be accessible at all through your frontend web site, you can remove all the references to Admin from the xml files. Then Magento won’t know that it exists, so no one should be able to get to it.

I think there’s also a “disable frontend” flag in the xml configs somewhere, so you can make an install that has *only* the Admin enabled.

As long as both installs share the same Database configuration, they should manage the same data. The rest of the configuration would depend on how you have your web servers set up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

edenpra

Total Posts:  6

Which xml config should I look for? app/etc/config.xml ? seems nothing inside.

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

We too have been trying to do this - we have fudged a way through it in a dev environment - but it is a fudge:

Created multi store setup on server we want to run admin from one of the multi stores is our main site
All use same database
All works admin and site on seperate domains

but loads of issues with image uploads and syncing media directory etc

It would be great to have a solution where we could seperate admin from main frontend on a one site setup without a fudge. I cannot find any xml config files that would allow for this.

Any help / guidance would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community