Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Uploading Bulk Data?? 

Dutchmarshalls

Total Posts:  3

Hi,

I,m a newbee on your site and have some questions.

Is it posible to upload a bulk of product with an Excel or CSV file to the shop?

I just walk tough the demo but could not find the possibility

Thanks in advance

http://www.dutchmarshalls.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lostbens

Total Posts:  31

Best solution I’ve found is to set everything up as you want it (categories and attributes) and manually enter a couple of records so you can see it all looking good.

Then System -> Import/Export -> Profiles

select “export products” and take a look at the exported file in var/export

use this file as a template and insert all your remaining products into this file

Note: this could become quite complex depending on your catalog eg you have to use category ids and not category names, there may be other issues its been a while since I did this, but this may be non-trivial

then select “import products” instead of “export products”

there are a couple of definite gremlins:
images have to placed into the media/import dir and paths to images have to be relative to this dir
the site name has to be changed but I’m afraid I can’t remember how (I think it should be changed from admin to default)

have patience, it *does* work but its not as easy as pressing a button wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brandlive_br
Guru

Total Posts:  653
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Just like losbens says, you can try to add some categories and some products. Make an export and try to understand the Magento structure.
Magento use a database structure based on entities. Maybe you need to adapt your file before you try to import your products.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community