Magento Forum

Ship-To Implemented! Anyone want LOBSTERS for Magento? 

john.andrews

Total Posts:  5

Hello All,

As mentioned in previous posts, I’ve been working on the addition of a “Ship-To” select box for all products in my Magento store (see screenshot). I have been able to add the field value behind the scenes using some ajax for write-in’s when the customer selects “someone else” and the addcustomoption when the item is added to cart. I’d be more then happy to share this portion of my code to anyone with interest.

While the “Ship-To” value works great from the catalog view, some adjustments are still needed In order for this to be a completed effort.  That said I’m seeking assistance, guidance, or a devoute opensourcer(s) with some interest in what I’m trying to accomplish and could help get this effort completed and perhaps offer to the community as a free module - or better yet Varien incorporate this into core? :)

There are three critical items that are needed:

1.) GROUPED PRODUCTS IN CART VIEW: The cart items need to be resorted and grouped in the cart view. I added a customoption field to the items quote array for each product called “ship_to” it works GREAT, however the cart needs to show this value as a heading and the associated products looped below. As of now I am not even able to alpha resort the items array by the “ship_to” value. Presently the cart shows product X for myself, product Y for Grandma, product Z for Myself (by order of which they were added to cart) and I need it to be alpha by ship to, Y for grandma, X for myself, Z for myself. This is how it looks now (see screenshot), this is how it should look (see screenshot)

2.) GUEST MULTI-SHIPPING CHECKOUT: The “Ship-To” functionality relies soley on the use off the multi-shipping checkout, which my biggest gripe is that it doesn’t allow for “Checkout as Guest”. I understand that this is due to the fact that shipping addresses are saved to the the address book of the logged in user, but surely this should be optional and I see no reason why the “Ship-To” recipients addresses couldn’t save to an array. Aside from the first step of the checkout (shipping addresses), the presentation of the layer multi-shipping checkout works great as is for the “Ship-To” module, it just needs guest modifications at the block/model levels.

3.) MULTI-SHIPPING CHECKOUT ADDRESSS VIEW: The first step of the Multi-Shipping Checkout, Shipping Addresses, needs to be modified to be grouped by the “Ship-To” value. This is how it currently looks (see screenshot) this is how it should look (see screenshot). The form select box to choose a saved addresses should appear for those that are not checking out as a guest.

That’s it, hah! I’ve found that Magento customizations can be a very easy task for some, pain staking for others. If you’re interested, and you’ve got what it takes, lets get this discussion rolling! I have the entire project loaded into TRAC and SVN so it could be very accomodating to an individual or joint developer effort.

I had considered adding this request to the Job Board, but I don’t have the means for monetary compensation at this time. I can however offer one hell of a week long Coastal Maine vacation summer of 2009. Cottage on the ocean sleeps 6-10 people, I’d also throw in a big lobster bake and a some tickets to the North Atlantic Blues Festival which happens just across the harbor. ...and yes, I’m serious about this, call it a magento developers retreat if you will ;)

Thanks much,
John.Andrews

Image Attachments
screenshot_shipto.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

john.andrews

Total Posts:  5

Still sitting on this and would LOVE to get it implemented! Not intersted in a Maine Vacation? I’ll ship anyone who can help me get this implemented a dozen Midcoast Maine Lobsters fresh off the boat, packed in Port Clyde seaweed. --- LOBSTERS FOR MAGENTO! ---

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

Looks like a good module to be written. =)

While I don’t have the time to write it all, I would be willing to help modularize what you already have and to help a bit with the rest.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ticean

Total Posts:  3

I’m trying to create the exact multishipping solution that you detail here.  Very good writeup, btw.  Did you ever make progress on the project?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community