Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Best Way to Approach Shipping Using Today’s Magento

SpringMountain

Total Posts:  20
Napa Valley, CA

I am at the point of figuring out how to calculate shipping for the 200+ products I have on my site. Searching for comprehensive tutorials on establishing shipping criteria for mixed shipping options has yet to lead me to anything worth bookmarking (suggestions, anyone?).

I have a programmer who is willing and able to write me a ship xml module for Magento, at a cost. Of course it is worth it in the long run, but what if I can’t afford it, or better yet, what if I can get away with using what is available with Magento out of box? What if they resolve what I need done with an internal update within the next few months? Which leads me to this post.

Table rate shipping. Is it me or is this a bit off right now? Can you find the “export” button for table rate shipping while running [edit: it was me: answer is select store name, not default config or default store view]. I’ve found this thread about multiple table rates but that is not quite in the realm of “out of box” use of Magento.

Using weight to calculate shipping and using a flat rate based on weight.
This is a game of trying to set total weight to properly state what package should be used. All things being equal, this is an ambitious endeavor. Add in your standard product that throws everything for a loop, and we now need a programmer to code our way out of our seemingly simple shipping issue.

What got me to start this thread is USPS offers 2 flat rate boxes for the same rate, but each box has a unique dimension to it. Do I get this to work by using the largest of all dimensions for both boxes, padding the shipping price a bit to compensate for instances of tweener products (products or combination of products that inevitably lead to destroying my false weight per product scheme)?

Our orders are not that frequent (yet!) to necessitate serious, instant and dead on accurate shipping estimates. However, we want to get our costs narrowed down as best we can, and set this cart up as best we can from the get-go.

What I’m asking:
1. What external resources can you recommend for me to read to learn more about optimizing shipping calculations for small businesses with unique product shipping criteria outside the Magento platform?
2. Can you give examples of what have you done, using Magento as-is, out of the box, to solve your unique shipping problems?
3. What shipping criteria do you have issues with that perhaps someone reading this thread could help resolve?
4. What shipping solutions do you know are on the way in regards to Magento software updates?

Thanks in advance!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jacky2008

Total Posts:  43

UP! I need ‘Using weight to calculate shipping and using a flat rate based on weight. ‘

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alexandre MP

Total Posts:  41

UP! I need import/export CSVs, and my oficial store have MatrixRate no Best Way, i need best way, anyone can help me? Se for em português é melhor ainda rsrsrs

Thanks!
Obrigado!

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community