Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

First time installation - why am I getting this error? PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded…

benfrain.com

Total Posts:  142

I am having problems getting Magento up and running for the first time on a shared Linux box with PHP5 and MySQL 4.1.20. The message I am receiving when trying to install Magento is this:

PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded

I have a very helpful hosting provider who has installed PDO_mysql, I have added a phpinfo file into the Magento directory to see if this sheds any light on the problem

Does anyone know what we have wrong to stop which is preventing the installation from working?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

What version of Magento are you trying to install?
Have you tried renaming the php.ini file in your Magento root folder to php5.ini?

Magento Community
Magento Community

brendanb
Mentor

Total Posts:  1093
London, United Kingdom

hey,

looks like you havent got pdo_mysql installed. Its only showing the “Lite version”

You need to have (if your using apache) the full version which should show up on your phpinfor.php file with a module displaying something like this

PDO
PDO support enabled
PDO drivers sqlite, sqlite2, mysql

pdo_mysql
PDO Driver for MySQL, client library version 5.0.51a

cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

benfrain.com

@JLHC - it’s the latest version from the download section (1.1.3 I think). I can only see a php.ini.sample file in the root of the magento folder. I have tried renaming this file to php5.ini but I still have the same problem.

@ brendanb - thanks for that info - that would certainly explain why it isn’t working. I must admit the installation of pdo_mysql is a little over my head so I will direct my host to this thread and hopefully he can install the correct version. Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aspiration Host
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

@ benfrain.com: I have just checked your phpinfo file and yes that is the main problem of this issue.
Also, version 1.1.4 has been released which resolved a few critical bugs. I suggest you to insall 1.1.4 instead. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

benfrain.com

OK, that hurdle is overcome but I now get this message:

Database server version does not match system requirements (required: 4.1.20, actual: 4.1.11-standard-log)

This is despite the correct version of MySQL being installed

Any clues?

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

@benfrain.com, if you know your mysql meets the system requirements then you should continue with the installation.  It is sometimes difficult to get the right DB information with the Magento Check script.

Magento Community
Magento Community

benfrain.com

Hi Adi,

Trouble is, Magento won’t let me continue past this point!

EDIT: Sorted now, it was a problem with the setup of mySQL on the server - all sorted now.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Owz

Total Posts:  3

Hi Guys I’ve been having the same problems as some of the others.. I’ve had the PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded error

here is a link to my phpinfo file

PHPinfo.php

Can someone tell me if the pdo is installed on my server?\

thank you

EDIT: I have found out that the pdo and pdo_mysql extensions are missing, how do I go about manually installing them?

I cannot locate the php.ini file on my server.. there is a .htaccess file though.. is this the same thing?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chippo

Total Posts:  15

@Owz .htaccess files are different from the php.ini file as the php.ini file is specifically for php settings. .htaccess are files that represent what actions should be taken for that specific domain or directory. You can change php options in the htaccess files, take a look at this ...
http://us2.php.net/configuration.changes

Don’t know if it will help

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community