Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Trouble getting magento to use another skin

frickaline

Total Posts:  2

Sorry if this is very basic stuff, I’m pretty new to this. 

I have the same problems on my local vista apache installation as I do on my linux ISP.  Basically I can’t seem to convince the admin control panel to make real changes to the skin selection.

If I follow these steps:

- launch my admin control panel, go to system->configuration->design->themes
- change templates, skin, layout and default to another name
- save config
- refresh my web page
- get source code from the browsed page

...shouldn’t I see new path names?

I keep seeing things like this in the html from the home page: <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="http://localhost/magento/skin/frontend/default/default/css/reset.css" media="all"></link>

...but I have hard specified for Magento to use a non-default frontend.  Seems to me Magento isn’t looking for a new skin at all but I can’t figure out why.  Seems like a pretty simple configuration change, pretty hard to screw up on my end on 2 separate platforms.  Is this some kind of a bug perhaps (maybe this only happens to brand new, clean 1.1.4 Magento installations or maybe there is something specific about how I’m installed on both of these systems)?

I also tried to install tealo (http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/568/) and had the same problem after following his steps.  Same problem, still looking at the ‘default’ directory.

I have the latest Magento (just downloaded yesterday), anyone have any idea what is going on here?

p.s.  as a side note, I was initially unable to view any products or categories on my site until I edited my CMS/home page and added:

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="3" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

to the content.  I still don’t see categories but at least I can see a product now.  Is this normal ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

frickaline

Total Posts:  2

I guess this community is pretty inactive. 

That pretty much makes my decision easy.  I’ll migrate to Livecart since Magento is too difficult (or buggy) to get working and the community seems to have also migrated elsewhere.  Hopefully others will have a better experience here.

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Sounds like a cache problem.
Is Livecart any good?  There seem to be so many issues with basic stuff on Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

neogecko

Total Posts:  15

I am also having this problem with the theme configuration in 1.1.6. Despite setting the Package and Themes all to my differently named package and theme under System -> Configuration -> Design. I still get references to css and such like the following:
“<sitename>/skin/frontend/default/default/css/reset.css”.

And changes made to templates in this newly created theme have no effect changes to the template files under default/default, well you guessed it, they effect my store.

Is this really how themes are suppose to be specified or is there another location to identify which folders themes should be using?

Magento Community
Magento Community

neogecko

Actually I realized I had specified a theme at the Category level. After setting the category theme back to “Please Select” the store is now calling my new theme. So that was my fault not the systems. No big surprise there.

Now I am having trouble getting the category to use 2 columns instead of 3 despite specifying “2 columns with right bar” in the Page Layout for the category custom design. Maybe it only works if I choose a Custom Design instead of—Please Select—

Magento Community
Magento Community

neogecko

That didnt seem to fix it. I think I need to start or find a new topic for this problem though.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community