Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Import products and product’s images

VijayGadhavi

Total Posts:  11
India

Hello friends

I have import product csv file with all fields. but i dont know how can i import all product images?

Thank you in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

All About Doors and Windows

Total Posts:  51
Kansas City, MO USA

Looking for an answer to this also.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lbeetles

Total Posts:  66

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chrisss

Total Posts:  3

Take a look at this: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/17657/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

can anyone provide cliff notes on this thread?  most of these posts are old and i dont want to follow outdated advice with new version of magento out....

Magento Community
Magento Community

VijayGadhavi

Total Posts:  11
India

Here is how I managed to import a product with images:
1. Create a new Import Profile:
Entity Type: Products
Direction: Import
Data Transfer: Interactive
Data Format: CSV
Value Delimiter: ,
Enclose Values In: “
Original Magento attribute names in first row: No

2. Field Mapping - click “+ Add Field Mapping” and specify each of the columns in your CSV file in the order that they appear. Use the example above for which fields you need. I have a custom Attribute set, so I had a couple different fields.
Tip: start out by not mapping your images—make sure everything else works fine

3. Click “Save and Continue Editing” (of your import profile)

4. Create your CSV file: start out with 1 product until things work
a. It’s okay to start with Excel, but after you save as CSV, open the CSV file in NOTEPAD
b. Enclose all fields in “ “
c. I also removed any weird/special characters such as hard returns
d. Keep your Short Description short. I hit errors when I tried including several sentences. I believe this is a bug since I can add a pretty long “short description” via the gui.
e. Delete the top, header row with attribute names. No one else has mentioned having to do this, but I had to. Make sure there are no blank lines above or below your product row.

5. Try your import
a. In your Import Profile, click “Upload File” on the left menu
b. Browse and select your file
c. Click “Save and Continue Editing”
d. Click “Run Profile” in the menu on the left
e. Select the file you uploaded in the dropdown menu. After you have done this once, you may want to delete the old import files from the /var/import directory
f. Click “Run Profile in Popup”

6. If you get errors, double-check that you have included all required attributes and in the correct order, don’t have spelling errors, all items are enclosed in double-quotes, there are no extra line breaks before/after your row of data, you removed the header row…

7. Once things are working (go back and delete the newly added product), try the images
a. Upload your image file(s) to /media/import
b. Update your field mapping and add image, small_image, thumbnail
c. Update your CSV file (just do this in Notepad to avoid any issues): add your images at the end of the line, separated by a comma, preceded by a backslash and enclosed in double-quotes. I.e. you will need to type: ,"/myimage.gif”,"/mysmallimage.gif”,"/mythumbnail.gif"
d. Upload your new CSV file and try the import again

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ajixo

Total Posts:  87

the image default to exclude how can that be changed

Magento Community
Magento Community

Eirsoft.ie

Total Posts:  1

VJ.Magento Master - 18 June 2009 01:32 AM

Here is how I managed to import a product with images:

---big snip---

VJ, this worked perfectly for me...many thanks for posting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

miked2004

Total Posts:  214
Atlanta, Georgia

Anyone know how to Update images using the import?
I have tried and just get errors.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ReefFinatic

Total Posts:  8

I’d love to be able to update attributes with the import but haven’t found the secret to that. Does anyone have instructions on how to do an update?

Magento Community
Magento Community

itliveweb.com

Total Posts:  3
IT Live Web Design and Development company

I tried above all steps but there images are not showing

IT Live Web Design and Development company - www.itliveweb.com

Magento Community
Magento Community

justinlancaster0078

Total Posts:  20

[solved]

I installed the JQ zoom extension. This is what was causing my problems described below. After uninstalling the extension importing files w/ images works perfectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having major issues importing products w/ images… Anyone know a easier way to do this?

I’ve tried to follow the directions above, but it’s not working for me. I exported a CSV file from magento and used that to add new products. I noticed when setting up the Field Mapping there’s a few fields in my CSV that are not coming up as options in the database. When I import nothing works.

However, If I run the preset profile “Import All Products” it works but I only get the thumbnail images to show up.

I uploaded my images to media/import. in that directory I put 3 folders “large”, “small” and “thumbnail”.

Respectively I put in the corresponding columns either “/large/image-name.jpg”, “/small/image-name.jpg” and “/thumbnail/image-name.jpg”.

I have 500+ items to import and I really don’t have time to do them one at a time.

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Magento Community
Magento Community

justinlancaster0078

Total Posts:  20

FWIW, I thought it may be the sub directory’s I uploaded the images in that might have been causing this problem. So I tried giving each size image a different name, changing the names in the CSV and re-importing. This didn’t work. It just does the same thing, thumbnails only. Product images on the product pages are still coming up blank.

Magento Community
Magento Community

clangham

Total Posts:  2

just place all your product images in the media/import DIR, and in each column of your CSV file for “image,” “small_image,” and “thumbnail” use the exact same value “/YOURSKU.jpg”

if it sees that you are using the same filename for all three columns it will assign them appropriately.  No need to create sub-dir’s in the import DIR.

Magento Community
Magento Community

IT GENIE GROUP

Total Posts:  1

hi....

I have a CSV file and a excel file, now, my excel sheet have image is as 12345 and a respective sku number for that image, and the original image name is 12345_i.jpg…

there is a list of 1000 products in same way and excel sheet image ID goes to 22345 with all different sku number and image name in the same way till 22345_l.jpg....

now if anyone can help me that what to add image coloumn in CSV sheet, rest the csv sheet is fine with all other product details, to upload these products in magent and where to upload the images so that I can see my product images to respective products....

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Grut

Total Posts:  164
Ukraine

IT GENIE GROUP - 25 March 2010 11:44 AM

hi....

I have a CSV file and a excel file, now, my excel sheet have image is as 12345 and a respective sku number for that image, and the original image name is 12345_i.jpg…

there is a list of 1000 products in same way and excel sheet image ID goes to 22345 with all different sku number and image name in the same way till 22345_l.jpg....

now if anyone can help me that what to add image coloumn in CSV sheet, rest the csv sheet is fine with all other product details, to upload these products in magent and where to upload the images so that I can see my product images to respective products....

Thanks

1. Open csv file in the Excel, copy images column from excel file to csv file.
2. Download Store Manager for Magento, open “Import/Export Products Wizard”, assign csv columns to database fields on step 5 and import your products to Magento fast and clear.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2