Here is how I managed to import a product with images:
1. Create a new Import Profile:
Entity Type: Products
Data Transfer: Interactive
Data Format: CSV
Value Delimiter: ,
Enclose Values In: Ã¢â¬Å
Original Magento attribute names in first row: No
2. Field Mapping - click Ã¢â¬Å+ Add Field MappingÃ¢â¬Â and specify each of the columns in your CSV file in the order that they appear. Use the example above for which fields you need. I have a custom Attribute set, so I had a couple different fields.
Tip: start out by not mapping your imagesÃ¢â¬âmake sure everything else works fine
3. Click Ã¢â¬ÅSave and Continue EditingÃ¢â¬Â (of your import profile)
4. Create your CSV file: start out with 1 product until things work
a. ItÃ¢â¬â¢s okay to start with Excel, but after you save as CSV, open the CSV file in NOTEPAD
b. Enclose all fields in Ã¢â¬Å Ã¢â¬Å
c. I also removed any weird/special characters such as hard returns
d. Keep your Short Description short. I hit errors when I tried including several sentences. I believe this is a bug since I can add a pretty long Ã¢â¬Åshort descriptionÃ¢â¬Â via the gui.
e. Delete the top, header row with attribute names. No one else has mentioned having to do this, but I had to. Make sure there are no blank lines above or below your product row.
5. Try your import
a. In your Import Profile, click Ã¢â¬ÅUpload FileÃ¢â¬Â on the left menu
b. Browse and select your file
c. Click Ã¢â¬ÅSave and Continue EditingÃ¢â¬Â
d. Click Ã¢â¬ÅRun ProfileÃ¢â¬Â in the menu on the left
e. Select the file you uploaded in the dropdown menu. After you have done this once, you may want to delete the old import files from the /var/import directory
f. Click Ã¢â¬ÅRun Profile in PopupÃ¢â¬Â
6. If you get errors, double-check that you have included all required attributes and in the correct order, donÃ¢â¬â¢t have spelling errors, all items are enclosed in double-quotes, there are no extra line breaks before/after your row of data, you removed the header rowÃ¢â¬Â¦
7. Once things are working (go back and delete the newly added product), try the images
a. Upload your image file(s) to /media/import
b. Update your field mapping and add image, small_image, thumbnail
c. Update your CSV file (just do this in Notepad to avoid any issues): add your images at the end of the line, separated by a comma, preceded by a backslash and enclosed in double-quotes. I.e. you will need to type: ,"/myimage.gifÃ¢â¬Â,"/mysmallimage.gifÃ¢â¬Â,"/mythumbnail.gif"
d. Upload your new CSV file and try the import again