Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

search function is usless

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

This must be the 10th time I am getting so frustrated with the forum search function.

This time, for instance, I was searching for ‘Checkout with Multiple Addresses”, it brought me to this page:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/search/results/?q=Checkout+with+Multiple+Addresses&eq;_lk=boards

I clicked on #1, expecting it brings me to the thread, but no, it just show me the ‘How do I’ Questions forum. Allright, although very frustrated, I thought at least it gave me a clue, so I ran another search on :
“Checkout with multiple addresses” text Posted: 1 day ago Author: WisdOMbooks., still couldn’t find the post. 

I did find the thread in the same forum after going through every thread. Still, it’s time comsuming!  I think that with a search function that is pretty much useless, people will keep asking same question again and again, and this is already happening.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

I thought I remembered that by searching the forum section you were led to actual threads.  Seems now it’ll only list and link to the categories in which the thread is contained.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We made an update this morning as a result of the report. Please try it out and report any issues.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

Thank Roy for the quick response.  It’s seems working fine now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

The search experience is very (very) important to us, so please let us know if any issues pop up. It is our goal to make it as close to perfect as possible.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

RoyRubin - 26 November 2007 09:08 PM

The search experience is very (very) important to us, so please let us know if any issues pop up. It is our goal to make it as close to perfect as possible.

When I type ‘donuts and coffee’ into the search field, donuts and coffee does not appear on my desk ready to consume.  I would say your search function needs some serious work.

tongue wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

RoyRubin - 26 November 2007 09:08 PM

One thing I have noticed about the search is that it indexes the entire page full of words, not just the content of the page.  It’s almost as if the search engine spider is hitting the site from the outside.  What I mean is, if I’m on a wiki page about changing magento cache settings, and in the right-hand column is a list of “hot forum topics”, including a topic about making a new payment gateway, when I search for “payment gateway” in the search box, I’m very likely to get the magento cache settings wiki page, since the words “payment gateway” are on that page.  In fact, I’m very likely to get every single wiki page in my search results since the spider found that hot topic on every single wiki page.

This contrived example is not as annoying as a real example, but search for “scale 6x” without the quotes.  You’ll find almost every page on the magentocommerce.com site because it is listed on the right as a “latest blog post”.  It makes me think the search engine simply spiders the site and doesn’t read content straight from the DB, like it’s some sort of external spider that doesn’t integrate well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

It’s almost as if the search engine spider is hitting the site from the outside.

Mark - we are using an implementation of Google’s CSBE (see related blog post), so in fact, Google spiders are indexing the site and the results are delivered to us via Google.

We’ll check to see if we can exclude certain parts the page so that the spiders index the content area solely.

Thanks for the feedback.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community