Magento Forum

Poll
Would you recommed Magento to a paying client?
Yes 35
Maybe 7
No 11
Not sure 7
Total Votes: 60
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Is Magento ready to be taking seriously? 

coronac

Total Posts:  50
Florida

It is obvious that Magento has the potential to make a difference in the ecommerce world. However, the platform has many bugs and errors to be taking seriously.

Also, many of the community users feel ignored by the development team on issues like DataFlow, Orders (Paypal and other payment issues), lack of themes, documentations, patches, and the obvious SLOW platform speed. Instead they (development team) marks the reported bugs as resolved and move on to implement new features with even more bugs!

So here is what i propose: I would like to invite all the community members to post the pros and cons about Magento. Hopefully this thread will be found by new users and together we can save them from feature headaches, waste of time and frustration on a early, buggy, slow, and undocumented e-commerce platform.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

marc_j

Total Posts:  37

@coronac - The short answer to your subject question is absolutely yes - it is ready and should be taken very seriously.

A few important comments:

- @fifthave, you are absolutely right and I agree with you. Varien has created a product that targets those businesses that are SERIOUS about selling online. Magento is a powerful tool that allows online merchants to compete at the highest levels. People that pay $5/month for hosting are really a non-factor and would probably not get what this is about. This product is way too advanced for what they need. They would be fine with a paypal shopping cart., volusion, or any of those other small-time services.

- Open source is not free. Free is not open source. I still don’t understand why people confuse the two. Open Source is about transparency and flexibility and openness. In this case it is also free but there are many other examples of product that are open source and not free. People confuse this and it couldn’t be further from the reality. I like the fact that I have access to the code and can do what I want - this is the biggest advantage in my eyes.

- I’ve been lurking in the community for months and a post like this that spreads FUD and the fear of god comes up roughly once a week. It’s nonsense and usually comes from people who are really newbie’s (sorry @coronac - that’s the reality). For those reading - move on ... you are better off trying Magento on your own and forming an opinion rather than taking these posts seriously.

- ‘Magento Team ignoring ...’ - have you been reading the blog? Did you watch the community video? The webinar? Have you seen the issue roadmap? There is more going on here than anywhere else I’ve seen. This is as transparent and serious of a development process as I’ve seen. Again - the facts are far from the reality.

- ‘Slow’ - this is really a non-issue since Magento 1.1. Have you seen this, this, this and this? Doesn’t look slow to me. Looks pretty darn fast.

I for one am very excited about Magento so far and can’t be more grateful. Do I have complaints - sure. But I complain about many software products and none are perfect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

coronac

Total Posts:  50
Florida

@marc_j

i respect your opinion about Magento.

marc_j - 09 September 2008 06:50 PM

This product is way too advanced for what they need. They would be fine with a paypal shopping cart., volusion, or any of those other small-time services.

So you think that Paypal and Volusion are small-time services? wow!

I personally think that Volusion is the best ecommerce platform for any serious business online. But hey, thats just my opinion.

I also think that Magento has the potential to become a key player in the ecommerce world. But reality is that Magento is not ready (yet) to compete against more developed and powerful platforms.

I mean will you choose Magento when you are shipping over 200 orders daily? Honestly?

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Totally agree with marc_j. And name me one bit of software which was full-featured (everything the community wants) and bug free within 6 months of launching 1.0? It’s utopia. It looks to me like they kind of use Google approach, release early and release often. At the moment new versions appear fortnightly, that’s much better than most packages I’ve worked with. A lot of people compare this with osCommerce and that has ground to a halt for years.

Magento needs to be taken for what it is. It is a frigging platform. P-l-a-t-f-o-r-m. A platform is something fundamentally great you take, and with your own skills you make it do what you need. It’s like when you build a house and other people put the foundation, gas pipes, access roads and electricity in place. You can’t live in it yet, you need to build the house to your specs.

Magento probably isn’t for sub 100K turnover indeed, not yet until someone’s builds a ready-to-deploy basic house (like those Ikea boxes) on top of the platform. But for serious people with development teams and a budget, Magento is perfect. I am taking this platform, doing the official training and will spend weeks making it do what I want to. That’s not weeks spent because it lacks. That’s weeks spent because of what I want and need it to do.

So it’s safe to say that without extensive PHP knowledge and e-commerce fundamental experience, you will not got the most out of Magento and will find it frustrating. That’s a criticism to the user, not to Magento.

If you need another analogy, see it liking having driven a Fiat Punto for the last 8 years and getting a Ferrari for your birthday. The step up is tricky, driving V8s isn’t for everybody. You simply need to know what you are doing. If you’re not comfortable with it, don’t sell your Punto just yet.

And of course, PayPal isn’t a small time service as a whole, but the per-button shopping cart idea with hosted checkout is. That’s a copy-paste shop you can achieve without server side scripting. So yes, that part of it is small-time.

Even though it’s free, I see it as an investment which needs taking care of so it turns into big profits. It really is a platform for the future. It will guarantee my future.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ylibrach

Total Posts:  78

Having dissected the Magento code over the last 2 months, and being a programmer for the last 10 years, I can say with confidence that Varien knows what they’re doing. However, Magento is a new venture for them and nothing goes perfectly right out the gate. There are growing pains and all you can hope for is that the company acknowledges problems and works to fix them. To this day I have never encountered one substantial piece of software that was completely bug-free in “stable” releases (just take a look at Windows—the most used piece of software in the world), and Magento is no exception.

However, as I alluded to already, Varien has an active bug tracker and they give active updates about their progress in fixing bugs. This is as much as you can ask for. Could Varien have done a better job going from 1.0 to 1.1? Absolutely—but again, that was their first major revision. I’m sure the transition from 1.1 to 1.2 will go much more smoothly for them.

And finally, if you actually spend some (actually, a lot of) time looking through the Magento code base, you’d realize that the Varien programmers are second to none, and this is coming from a programmer who has waded through mountains of other people’s code throughout the years in disgust.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turbo1

Total Posts:  296
Los Angeles, CA

I was really put off at first by the steep learning curve (coming from osC). I’m running a dev site with Magento 1.1.4 now, waiting to get some key features before I go live with it. Hopefully soon!

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

Well we have many clients small and big, and I can tell you that some of the type of work they produce are just fabulous.

There are many “big” guys here who are converting their sites to Magento, and they seem to be very happy with this product so far.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community