Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New to magento, questions about normal workflow. 

visua

Total Posts:  9

Hey guys!

New to magento here. But so far it seems good.

My usual workflow starts off in photoshop with a grid start file, I use Grids960, and sometimes blueprint.css For 99% of my layouts.

After cutting up the images/optimizing for web i build the layout in xhtml/css so I have a simple non-functional coded layout.

And from there its extremely easy to ‘cut’ and put onto new systems such as wordpress.

My question is, is this same workflow ‘possible’ with Magento? One of our companies is *very* *very* image oriented and wants a site that won’t look anything like e-commerce ‘site’, but with the functionality. Magento seems to be complicated enough to have this functionality smile I watched the intro to themes, and it was helpful.

However, it seems a bit more indepth than what was shown. Anyone have a good first few files/steps that will get me started?

Thanks guys!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brilliand

Total Posts:  34

You can do this by editing the layout files in design/default/default/template/page/.  Most of your XHTML can simply go in one of those layout files, which you then use for everything.

I’d like to hear a better answer, though.  Can someone tell me what I can put in the XML to call a template file I created?  The method I described above breaks some Magento features - not important ones, but nonetheless I’d rather keep my design somewhat modular.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

customer.xml has good examples showing you how to setTemplate in the root (reference name) as well as adding js and css for a particular template and particular page.

If you have created extra templates (other than those in page folder), you can setTemplate in a few of the xml files (catalog, customer, checkout and cms etc), I am however not sure if you can select your extra templates from the CMS pages though, because last time I checked, it needs to go to core/Mage/Cms/etc/config, which some people consider it a bad practice.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brilliand

Total Posts:  34

OK, it turns out that what I was looking for was a CMS static block.  You can put pieces of HTML in them, and call them from XML.  I think that’s a good solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community