Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Have to run pear via SSH for updating

derfurth

Total Posts:  17

Hi, I have a problem with magento connect, here’s the symptoms:

Connect, shows the updates available and everything.
Seems to update, but when i hit refresh the installed packages versions stays the same, and its still telling updates are available.
The version number in the admin section is updated.

So I did check with SSH and pear said that indeed nothing was updated, so i did run “./pear upgrade-all stable”, and everything did update properly.

I guess there is something with permissions that needs to be changed, but I don’t know where to start…

Magento is running on my (dv) 3.5 on MT

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

Could you post your PHP info file? I have a theory on why this is happening but would need to know more about your PHP environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

derfurth

Ok sent via PM.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Ok, that’s what I figured. You have Apache running as a PHP module, so you’ll need to perform upgrades (and for future reference, the installation of new extensions) via SSH.

Login to SSH and go to the directory where Magento is installed. Run the following:

rm -rf downloader/pearlib/cache/ downloader/pearlib/download/*
./pear upgrade-all
rm -rf downloader/pearlib/cache/ downloader/pearlib/download/*

If you get a message telling that there’s nothing to update, run this instead:

./pear mage-setup .
./pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest-stable
rm -rf downloader/pearlib/cache/* downloader/pearlib/download/*

The first method should work, it sounds like you’re seeing a list of packages in Magento Connect.

Magento Community
Magento Community

derfurth

Hm don’t you mean PHP running as an Apache module ? wink

Anyway does PHP have to be a CGI binary to run pear, so connect manager can work ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

derfurth - 18 September 2008 12:00 AM

Hm don’t you mean PHP running as an Apache module ? wink

Anyway does PHP have to be a CGI binary to run pear, so connect manager can work ?

Heh, yeah that’s what I meant :D PHP just has to have some form of suEXEC. Without it, processes initiated from the browser run as user nobody, not as your account’s username. The only way to upgrade in this case is from SSH.

Otherwise, you’d have to switch to CGI, FastCGI, or suPHP. I’d probably go with FastCGI, since suPHP has horrendous performance issues compared to PHP DSO, more than 25x slower.

Magento Community
Magento Community

derfurth

Ok, I see. Thanks smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peteren

Total Posts:  15

@Crucial: I have kinda the same problem, see: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/17990/
Do you think that i have to use the solution you provided? I would like to keep using connect manager because its simplicity. I have also the problem that new installed extensions are not being showed in the connect manager.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Phoenix, AZ

Peteren - 18 September 2008 12:37 PM

@Crucial: I have kinda the same problem, see: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/17990/
Do you think that i have to use the solution you provided? I would like to keep using connect manager because its simplicity. I have also the problem that new installed extensions are not being showed in the connect manager.

If you could post your PHP info, that’d help.

But you said you have no extensions listed in Magento Connect. That means the PEAR registry hasn’t been initialized yet, so paste the following in the extension key area:

magento-core/Mage_All_Latest-stable

Let me know if the extensions show up after you do that.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Peteren

Total Posts:  15

Crucial - 18 September 2008 04:39 PM

If you could post your PHP info, that’d help.

I send it with PM

But you said you have no extensions listed in Magento Connect. That means the PEAR registry hasn’t been initialized yet, so paste the following in the extension key area:

There are extensions listed in Magento Connect Manager. But when i install a new extension, it does not get added to the list. I installed for instance the “Modern Theme”. It is installed now, but i cant find it on the list. Check the attachment for the view of Magento Connect.

When i try to install that, I get the next message:

parsePackageName(): “stable “ is neither a valid version nor a valid state in “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-stable “
invalid package name/package file “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-stable “
Cannot initialize ‘connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-stable ‘, invalid or missing package file
Install Errors
Package “connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-stable “ is not valid
PEAR ERROR: install failed

Image Attachments
magento_connect_manager.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

bisk

Total Posts:  35
Les Pays-Bas

Peteren - 19 September 2008 01:57 AM

There are extensions listed in Magento Connect Manager. But when i install a new extension, it does not get added to the list. I installed for instance the “Modern Theme”. It is installed now, but i cant find it on the list. Check the attachment for the view of Magento Connect.

I have a similar problem with extensions not being listed in my connect manager after install. I installed 3 extensions, they work fine, but are not listed.

Entering

Gives

Ignoring installed package magento-core/Mage_All_Latest
Nothing to install

I installed 1.1.6 through ssh without any errors and haven’t seen any errors in the connect manager either. Anything else I could do to get them listed?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

@bisk:

Since you have SSH access, run the following commands from within your Magento root directory:

./pear mage-setup .
./
pear install -f magento-core/Mage_All_Latest-stable
rm 
-rf downloader/pearlib/cache/* downloader/pearlib/download/*//tempend ?>

It will initialize PEAR and you should see the modules in Magento Connect Manager.

Magento Community
Magento Community

bisk

Total Posts:  35
Les Pays-Bas

Sindre|ProperHost - 29 September 2008 03:33 AM

@bisk:

It will initialize PEAR and you should see the modules in Magento Connect Manager.

Thanks for the reply. Pear was already initialized, nevertheless I did what you recommended. Reinstalled the 3 extensions succesfully, but they are still not listed in the connect manager though.

Magento Community
Magento Community

redvinny

Total Posts:  48

Was there any joy in this?

I have a problem where I cannot use the connect Manager as it throws up lots of pear install errors.  Are there any specific PEAR modules that need to be loaded (my host is asking)

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/26403/

That is my problem - would be very grateful if someone could help

Magento Community
Magento Community

magelover

Total Posts:  36

Hi -

I’ve tried using both approaches crucial shared in the third post - and everything goes well - it says:
downloading Mage_All_Latest-1.2.1.1.tgz ...
Starting to download Mage_All_Latest-1.2.1.1.tgz (1,005 bytes)
....done: 1,005 bytes
install ok: channel://connect.magentocommerce.com/core/Mage_All_Latest-1.2.1.1

(It said the same when I tried via Magento connect)

But I go to the admin area and it’s still Magento 1.1.6 - I have no idea what’s happening. I’ve been trying to upgrade in all possible ways but it hasn’t been possible.

I dont see any errors when I try it - not even in the apache error logs.

Could anyone please help?

Magento Community
Magento Community

FeukaSAS

Total Posts:  12

hi everybody.

maybe i got the same problem, i moved my installation from local to distant server and now i got problem with magento connect :

when installing or upgrading i got this :

downloading Fontis_Wysiwyg-1.0.4.tgz ...
Starting to download Fontis_Wysiwyg-1.0.4.tgz (1,207,451 bytes)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...done: 1,207,451 bytes
ERROR: failed to mkdir /Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/adminhtml/default/default/layout

here “/Applications/MAMP/htdocs/magento/app/design/adminhtml/default/default/layout” is a path from my local install…
i try to run “./pear mage-setup” via ssh but got an “invalid command” error…

someone got an idea???

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2