Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Order # different then Order ID .. what is the point? 

John R

Total Posts:  90

Magento gives us the great option to randomize our Order # as to not give away number of actual orders going out from the site. Except when you do order-specific actions on the front and backend, it puts the actual Order ID in the URL!

Clicking “View Order #100006583”:

http://www.store.com/sales/order/view/order_id/11

Doesn’t this sort of defeat the purpose of randomized Order #? Is there a way to change this so it passes the Order #, not the database Order ID in the URL? It doesn’t appear you can edit the Order # in the backend either, so it should stay constant.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

John R - 08 September 2008 09:49 AM

Magento gives us the great option to randomize our Order # as to not give away number of actual orders going out from the site..

I must have missed that option - where is it? We changed our order numbers directly in the database, but I assume from your comments this is now an admin option?

I think the id in the url will be the database record id that - I guess you could alter that directly in the database too, but not sure how it would work with the randomize option you mention above.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community