Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Create Categories With CRON During Import

zep007

Total Posts:  131
Connecticut

I have been able to add products via my CRON thanks to the thread Brikou started over here :
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4694/

But the issue Im having is I can only assign a product to a category that already exists, I have a couple hundred categories, and I need to create new ones from an external API - on the fly

Does anyone know how I can create a new category via php by linking into the Magento framework?  Ive scoured the forums and Wiki, but can’t find anything.  And I know this has already been done due to the OScommerce import mod that is available via Magento Connect.

Can anyone share their experience?  smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I’ve seen a couple of posts about this, but they all said it goes really slow.
You might want to approach it by looking at the code that creates a category in the backend, and see how you can do the same thing in your import code.
(By the way, that code for the cron import doesn’t work on my 1.1.3, but I need it! So I’m modifying the Product.php that is called on the import to see what I can do there.)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community