Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I find out what Category I’m in? 

rzazueta

Total Posts:  34

I;ve created a special side menu that is supposed to do something special with the subcategories of the current category it’s in. I call $this->getCurrentCategory() and it returns a Category object COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than the category I’m in, a complete different hierarchy altogether. Is this function not supposed to work this way?

How do I get the Category object for the category I’m currently in when browsing my store?

Rob Z.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

post the block you are referencing - or just check it out yourself - what is the code in the function “getCurrentCategory” in that block?

That function is usually created and/or overridden (rather than inherited) for each Block

Magento Community
Magento Community

rzazueta

Here’s the block of code in the Navigation block - I’m very solid in my PHP and have traversed this code tree WAY too many times now and I still can’t grasp how it tries to figure out what category the page is currently in:

public function getCurrentCategory()

{

if (Mage::getSingleton('catalog/layer')) {

return Mage::getSingleton('catalog/layer')->getCurrentCategory();

}

return false;

}

This returns a valid category that is in no way related to the current category. What is its purpose if it doesn’t actually return the current category?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rzazueta

I should note - that comes frrom Mage->Catalog->Block->Navigation.php under the app code.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community