Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Control the top menu to include shop + cms pages

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

I want to customize what is included in the top menu so that the first button will be, lets say “shop”, then the other menu choices will be displayed from specific CMS pages that I create for that purpose.

So for example sake, lets say that I want to have 4 menu choices in my top menu

Shop - About us - Newsletter - Legal Disclaimer

To get the Shop one I guess I just name the root catalogue to what I want to name it in the menu, then just nest all categories into that one.
But how can I then append custom CMS pages right of “Shop” to populate the top menu?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

inspiredbackpacker

Total Posts:  47

This is something I am also VERY interested in, so please someone answer, but here’s a workaround in the meantime.

Just make the pages you want to be static for stuff like disclaimers as shops, but using single column layout, or some customized layout with nothing on it. Then go to CMS>static blocks. Make a static block and add it to the category you want.

You can use code for tables, coloring, css, etc when making the static block so it’s pretty easy to customize, although I haven’t attempted to add pictures and that will be a hurdle not yet knowing how to link them properly, images or css style sheets. But for basic stuff, just code your html in some other editor and copy and past it to the cms block.

Magento Community
Magento Community

inspiredbackpacker

This is something I am also VERY interested in, so please someone answer, but here’s a workaround in the meantime.

Just make the pages you want to be static for stuff like disclaimers as shops, but using single column layout, or some customized layout with nothing on it. Then go to CMS>static blocks. Make a static block and add it to the category you want.

You can use code for tables, coloring, css, etc when making the static block so it’s pretty easy to customize, although I haven’t attempted to add pictures and that will be a hurdle not yet knowing how to link them properly, images or css style sheets. But for basic stuff, just code your html in some other editor and copy and past it to the cms block.

Wow that was weird, it posted twice so now I’m gonna make it a quote of myself

Magento Community
Magento Community

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

But of course smile

I would say that your work around isn’t the work around but he solution.
The CMS, as you state are just blocks, content and by that, you can add them into categories and then use them as pages.

As long as on dont add any products in the first level this would end up working just as the initial post.
Gha, should have thought about that my self, but still not use to this very good flexible structure that Megento offers.

I guess you could even create a new root category structure just to include your “pages” and then display the other root structure of categories in the left navigational structure.

Magento Community
Magento Community

inspiredbackpacker

Yes, you are right. It is the solution.... but it shouldn’t be.....

As a mac person I am very accustomed to having things work the way I believe they should. Making pages in magento needs to be AT LEAST as easy as in Joomla! which I know view as inferior. Oh well

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community