Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Hosting on Low Budget

o2intake

Total Posts:  6

I’d just like some opinion on hosting plans and providers.

Just a college student trying to start a site so I was wondering what providers have the best shared hosting for the price.  I’ve been researching but it seems like recently lots of providers have increased their shared basic hosting to ~$20/mo.

Then there are the ones that are still at ~$5-10/mo, which is more my price range.

I think I really overpaid for a website design, which turned out pretty bad but what can I do.  And I just don’t want that to happen to my hosting service.  Not to mention that after the site design I’m in the hole already by a lot.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Sindre|ProperHost
Mentor

Total Posts:  1158

Well, you can’t expect decent Magento performance on a $5/mo shared hosting account. If you are serious about your business, you should raise your budget. What good is it to pay $5 for hosting when no customers will wait for your site to load?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

I suggest you to have a look at the following list of hosts who are Magento compatible:-
http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/general/magento-web-hosting

However, be sure to take note that some of the “host” are just resellers and I suggest you to avoid them as they do not have any control/access towards the servers that you will be hosted on.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

HostGator.com has plans starting at 4.95 that support Magento.

Your hosting is the foundation of your business, and ultimately your online success or failure depends on the speed and availability of your online presence - Depending on your investment in your ‘business’ you may or may not want to reconsider your hosting needs and budget.  A lot of folks take advantage of the low cost of HostGator to do their development, where they can save a few bucks a month - then, when they are ready to get down to business they simply upgrade to their preferred hosting platform.

Most of the hosts that you will find here and listed in the Magento Wiki are quite capable of handling a small to mid size Magento store.  I wouldn’t hesitate to try all of them if your serious about your hosting.

Magento Community
Magento Community

magentohostinfo

Total Posts:  20

We have a list of live Magento stores running on HostGator’s hosting platform at MagentoHost.info if you want to see what type of performance you can expect.  We have the same live store links for various other popular Magento hosting companies as well ranging from low budget hosts to premium priced hosts.  See and compare the performance for yourself to make a confident hosting choice.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MagePsycho
Mentor

Total Posts:  1702

AFAIK, hostmonster.com is the cheapest one.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community