Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Creating sub-products automatically? 

rmadridca

Total Posts:  19

I was wondering if there was an easier way to create sub products then manually creating each one and then associating to a configurable product. In my mind, a configurable product is just a super product. So what would be nice is if I could simply pick the attributes I want which presently I can in Magento. However instead of manually creating the simple products and associating them, what if I go to a matrix screen which shows something like this -

SIZE -
XS
S
M
L
XXL
XXXL

COLOR
Red
Blue
Black

You check off each option that you want and Magento automatically creates all the variation combination sub-products for you. Example, if I checked off S and M for Sizes and Red and Blue for Colors I should have the following sub products created for me -

S-Red
S-Blue
M-Red
M-Blue

Our current ecommerce framework which we wrote in Java does this for you so that the user does not have to go through the cumbersome task of creating each product. I guess Magento’s solution for this is the import feature. Still would be nice for it to be handled this way. Any suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rmadridca

Any suggestions? Is this even possible? I would really appreciate an answer.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rmadridca

Seems someone has the same request I do.
http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/2956/
No answers on his thread either. Can someone from Varien tell me if this possible or will be included in a future release please?! This is so frustrating. I just started using Magento a month ago and have posted some reasonable questions. Hardly do I even get a reply on this forum. The support on Magento is atrocious.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community