Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Add an inventory item to a new product as a product option

shizwhack

Total Posts:  1

I want to add a product to a product as a product option. This is so I can keep a perfect stock, as some items I sell can be sold singularly or as part of another item.

E.g: I will be selling custom built bike wheels. I will have different hubs, rims and spokes already in as products on the site.

I then want to make a new product called “build your own wheel” and add all the hubs and rims to that product so they can choose the wheel they want building like a product option in a drop down menu.

So it will look like this:

Choose your rim- *drop down menu*

Choose your hub - *drop down menu*

Choose your spokes *drop down menu*

Also, what if the product which comes up in the drop down list already has product options like size and colour attached to it, because these will need to be chose too.

Any way possible?

Thanks.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

mytex

Total Posts:  19

Hi,
I have a very similar problem.  I am using a bundled product and the options within this bundled product may have further options associated with them.  For eg I want to sell a laptop case as part of a bundled product but that case may come in a series of different colours.  The only way I can think of to do this at the moment is to define a simple product (to be used as part of the bundle) for each colour.  What I really want is for the customer to select a case and then select the colour from another dropdown next to the case selection dropdown.

Also, as I will be selling complex components (simple products) in each bundle, I’d like to have a “more info” or “specifications” link alongside each of the options in my dropdown (or checkbox or button) so the customer has appropriate information to hand when deciding what option to go for.

Finally, I need a choice from a dropdown to affect the availability of other simple products in the bundle - eg, if a customer selects a small bag, I don’t want a trolley option to be available!

Can anyone advise on this?  Does it have to be done through coding or are there some clever options I don’t know about?

Thanks for any help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mytex

Total Posts:  19

Thanks GoldDigger.  I had a look around but can’t find much detail on the functionality to be included in the “Support for grouped products built from configurable products” enhancement.  I hope it will help me but I think what I need is more like “support for configurable products within bundle products”.  Anyhow, I’ll keenly await the release - does anyone know when this might be?

Do you have any thoughts on the link for more info against bundled product options?

Cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community