Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Current Database Compatibilty ??? 

andeeknits

Total Posts:  2
UK

Hello
I currently have an ecommerce website and want to know if my current database will be compatible to upload to my new magento website?
If so any tips would be great!
Andee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

Are you talking about the actual type of database or your data?

Magento Community
Magento Community

andeeknits

Total Posts:  2
UK

Hello
I am talking about the information already stored in my database which is running on my current ecommerce site?
If I can use my current database all my current customers and stored information can be transfered over???
Andee

Magento Community
Magento Community

adimagento
Guru

Total Posts:  626
Los Angeles, CA

The import/export functionality in Magento is called DataFlow. You can read more about how this works in this blog post. There is also a dedicated forum for DataFlow here where you can asked more technical questions about how to accomplish this migration.  If you current site is an OSCommerce shopping cart you may want to check out the OSCommerce Migration tool through Magento Connect.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community