Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Clone categorys

nafnaf1000

Total Posts:  209

Hi all.

is there a way to “clone” a category (to list the same caterory in 2 or times) ???

Example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/site-directory/ref=_ngw_

If you look hear you will see that “Books” is listed twice. once under “Toys, Kids & Baby” & “Books”

Music is under “Toys, Kids & Baby” & “Movies, Music & Games”

and is there a way to make a page like this one?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Currently, I believe that Magento does not allow you to have a category share more than one parent category.

I think you can create a 2nd ‘books’ category and place it under a different parent category, but I’m not sure if Magento checks for duplicate category names.

I’m not sure if adding this is part of a future plan on Magento’s part - It definitely has been mentioned before, however.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

Thanks for the reply. createing a 2nd ‘books’ dos not realy help as now you have 2 categorys to worry about, and you have to list the items in 2 categorys insted of one…

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

I am in complete agreement rasberry

It also causes problems for listing products from a certain parent category and splitting them into child categories properly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nafnaf1000

I am not a programer, but if you can list item in as meny plases as you want, it should not be souce a big deal to do the same as the category.

Magento Community
Magento Community

neuro

Total Posts:  104
France

I think we can duplicate category with the category API.
Retrieve all the categories a a website in a db & create the new category in a for-each with your table.
But idk if the products will be added in the new category.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community