Magento Forum

Where should a designer new to Magento start? 

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

Wasn’t really sure where to post this, General or Design, but decided that it was most suited in Design after all.

As any new user (and I just assume current user) to Magento I want my own design of my store and I have gone through all the guides, movies, tutorials etc and I feel that I somewhat got enough information to be able to start digg in and start to learn, but I would like some tips on how to start.

Should I start with a completely clean package or would it be better to copy the default one and start to make changes to that one.
or isn’t a new packages even needed (or recommended) so all I should do is to copy the default template and go from there (or create a blank template and start to add stuff until I’m happy?

The fallback structure makes me guess that the best way to go about this, is to add a blank template (Yes, I did read about the skeleton template) and then start to add items rather then modify as that will in the end only include necessary code rather then having a copy of every document from default.

I do understand after all the great tutorials and posts in this forum where to put what, blocks, skins, layout etc, just not 100% sure where to begin my journey on designing for Magento.

Any input or advice on “how to kick off” is most appreciated

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community