Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Why does Magento need so much space? 

martinschm

Total Posts:  56

Hi,

I have around 100 products with a picture each, these can’t take up much space but while running Magento 1.1.1 it already took up 391 MB.

I upgraded to 1.1.4 and installing the Modern theme its up to 451 MB now. According to PEAR only about 2 MB were downloaded.

Do these 2 MB zipped files really come to 40MB unzipped space?

And why does Magento need that much space anyway?

ciao
Martin

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kerry Hatcher

Total Posts:  96
Macon, GA

I know that the installer unzips from 8mb to 40mb using gzip. Magento has a lot of libraries that it needs. That keeps it flexible. It does give it more overhead but man the customization possibilities are endless, and that is without editing core files!

I’m sure Yoav or Moshe could shed more light on this one though.

Hope that helps!

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

It’s a resource hog, that’s why.
If you look in the pear folders, you’ll see that it saves the compressed file and the uncompressed files as well. Then it copies, not moves, the files to your installation. So that’s some of it.

You don’t say if your numbers include the database or the normal data generated by running the store like product images, cache of requests, session files, logs, exports of data and temp files used in exporting and uploading, but that can be a whole lot more space than just the source code.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community