Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I add a menu on the top bar for easy navigation? 

cliff115115

Total Posts:  1

I’ve tried adding categories but i get no display of menues, such as...Apparal, Electronics...etc. Any suggestions would be amazing. If anybody wants to give it a try, http://www.webstarprices./admin this is my username and password. webstarp, as505as

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Macaper

Total Posts:  48

Check out this thread

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/15378/

What you want to do is exactly what is described further down in the above thread. Create a new “root” category and save it (make sure its enabled. Then go into manage stores and in your store choose your newly created category as that stores root category.

Then you create new subcategories to your new “root” category and again make sure they are enabled.

Basicly you need one level of subcategorys to have them displayed at your store as the first level doesn’t “belong” to the navigation.
My guess is due to fact that you can have multiple setup of categories in multiple stores and thats why you need to define one top level of category first

Hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Don’t forget to click and drag your categories to under the Default Category.

I just tried that for you without success, however.

(Also, you shouldn’t give login information to the public like that!)

it appears that I cannot access a category by typing it into the URL manually either

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community