Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Catalog Price Rules don’t stick! 

dada21

Total Posts:  28

I have 4 user groups:

Basic
Wholesale
Co-owner

I have Catalog Price Rules that discount ALL items in the catalog by a set percentage based on the user group.

When I first setup the rules, they work FINE.  But after a few days, for no reason, the rules stop working.  I don’t have an expiration date or anything, they just stop.  I haven’t figured out how to fix it, sometimes reapply the rules fixes it, it seems.

Any idea?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sciabica

I’m having the same problem!!!!!

For me, at 5pm every day the sale disappears.  I have to reset it, it’s been a HUGE pain.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jklina

Total Posts:  82
Philadelphia PA

Hey guys, did you setup your cronjobs? If not, do a search for that. Its a requirement for catalog price rules.

Gook luck.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sciabica

After some research, that seems to be the issue with this particular problem.  However, the solution seems to be a little over my head.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jklina

Total Posts:  82
Philadelphia PA

Nah, it just seems intimidating at first, but its not too bad at all. If you’ve managed to get Magento installed and running on a server setting up a cronjob should be a piece of cake.

All you need to do is add an entry to crontab (a program that runs scripts at different time intervals). For Magento, only one entry is needed and you can see it here:

*/* * * * /absolute/path/to/bin/php -/absolute/path/to/magento/cron.php

Now you’re going to have to replace the two paths below. The first one is to your phpbin. You can ask someone from your hosting company what the directory is for that. The 2nd is the path to cron.php which, in a clean install, is located in your Magento’s root directory.

If you have used ssh before you can create a text file with the following information (don’t forget to replace the directories and the e-mail address with your e-mail address). This is the cronjob entry plus your e-mail address so if there are any problems it will tell you what they are!

# for debugging purposes only:
MAILTO=your.user@your.server.com

Save it as crontab.txt

Use ftp to upload it somewhere on your server, preferably above the public_html directory, you must connect via SSH and issue the command:

crontab crontab.txt

using the name you gave the file. (Note that you must be in the same directory as the cron file at the time.) After this, your cron should be activated. If the programs running via cron generate errors, the cron daemon will e-mail them to your account.

If you need any more help, just let us know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

dunk

Total Posts:  24

thanx jklina, this was driving me up the wall....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darsh

Total Posts:  71

Thanks a lot jklina dude.

Just a sidenote.

IT WILL BE REALLY APPRECIATED FROM NON TECHNICAL PEOPLE WHO MANAGE THE STORE TO HAVE NOTE WHEN THEY CREATE A CATALOG PRICE RULE TO SAY THAT PLEASE VERIFY THAT YOU HAVE CREATED A CORN JOB FOR THE CATALOG PRICE RULES TO APPLY DAILY>>>

Magento Community
Magento Community

cmiller1014

Total Posts:  24

THANK YOU! This helps so much. If only it were in the documentation.....

jklina - 05 September 2008 06:39 AM

Nah, it just seems intimidating at first, but its not too bad at all. If you’ve managed to get Magento installed and running on a server setting up a cronjob should be a piece of cake.

All you need to do is add an entry to crontab (a program that runs scripts at different time intervals). For Magento, only one entry is needed and you can see it here:

Now you’re going to have to replace the two paths below. The first one is to your phpbin. You can ask someone from your hosting company what the directory is for that. The 2nd is the path to cron.php which, in a clean install, is located in your Magento’s root directory.

If you have used ssh before you can create a text file with the following information (don’t forget to replace the directories and the e-mail address with your e-mail address). This is the cronjob entry plus your e-mail address so if there are any problems it will tell you what they are!

# for debugging purposes only:
MAILTO=your.user@your.server.com

Save it as crontab.txt

Use ftp to upload it somewhere on your server, preferably above the public_html directory, you must connect via SSH and issue the command:

crontab crontab.txt

using the name you gave the file. (Note that you must be in the same directory as the cron file at the time.) After this, your cron should be activated. If the programs running via cron generate errors, the cron daemon will e-mail them to your account.

If you need any more help, just let us know.

Magento Community
Magento Community

quirkybird

Total Posts:  35

If you have cpanel, there’s an even easier way:

Scroll down to advanced and click cron jobs
on the cron jobs screen click Standard

Fill out a blank entry form with the following values:
minutes: every 5 minutes
hours: every hour
Day: every day
month: every month
weekday: every weekday

Click Save Crontab

Magento Community
Magento Community

nar

Total Posts:  30

quirkybird - 10 June 2009 08:28 AM

If you have cpanel, there’s an even easier way:

Scroll down to advanced and click cron jobs
on the cron jobs screen click Standard

Fill out a blank entry form with the following values:
minutes: every 5 minutes
hours: every hour
Day: every day
month: every month
weekday: every weekday

Click Save Crontab

Using Cpanel, what command should I run?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ben Marks
Guru

Total Posts:  452
Isle of Palms, SC

@nar wget http://www.YOURSITE.com/cron.php > /dev/null

Magento Community
Magento Community

janetgot

Total Posts:  33

I have been trying to get the cron manager settings to work on a godaddy intallation with the following line:

/web/cgi-bin/php5 “$HOME/html/cron.php”

I am not getting errors in my email, but the catalog price rules still don’t stick… does anybody have the correct line for godaddy, or am I missing something else?  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

janetgot

I have been trying to get the cron manager settings to work on a godaddy installation with the following line:

/web/cgi-bin/php5 “$HOME/html/cron.php”

I am not getting errors in my email, but the catalog price rules still don’t stick… does anybody have the correct line for godaddy, or am I missing something else?  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

pro120

Total Posts:  15

I am also working on the godaddy cron issue.  Have you figured it out yet?  If I find a solution I will post it here.

EDIT:  go through the godaddy hosting and have the cron manager in the control panel run cron.php hourly seemed to fix it for me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

janetgot

I haven’t gotten it going yet, but will try the hourly approach.  I’ll let you know if we still have issues with the catalog price rules not sticking. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

pro120

Total Posts:  15

Turns out executing cron.php fixed the problem contrary to what I thought.  Not sure If I will have a solution that will help for the price rules.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2