Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Migrating MD5 passwords

mumrah

Total Posts:  2

As indicated by this wiki page, Magento supports salted as well as unsalted MD5 hashes. This is technically true, but getting it to work it’s all that straightforward.

Basically, you need to copy over MD5 hashed passwords with an empty string as the salt.

E.g., take the password “foobar”, the MD5 hash is “3858f62230ac3c915f300c664312c63f”. If you put this directly in the db, it won’t work. The authentication system looks for a “:” in the password hash to get the salt. Bottom line, add a “:” to the end and Magento will salt the password with nothing, so you just get the regular MD5 hash back.

“3858f62230ac3c915f300c664312c63f” -> “3858f62230ac3c915f300c664312c63f:”

-David

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Netismine

Total Posts:  174

thanks, will try it out smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

loopion

Total Posts:  24
New York

It works well on 1.4.0.1. Thank you!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Erix

Total Posts:  113

Hi,

On my precedent website, we encode password with this, function :

crypt("myPassword”,"$1$rasmusle$")

Why can i decrypt this password to use with Magento Customer Account?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lataz

Total Posts:  33

I tried this on Magento ver. 1.4.0.1 - I imported customers via CSV from a Zen Cart DB. I added a “:” to all md5 hashes before import. For some reason Magento does not recognize the imported passwords.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rickdeckard1978

Total Posts:  9

I’ve got the same problem:
For some reason Magento does not recognize the imported passwords from my xt-xommerce system ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

lugobox

Total Posts:  61

this worked for me i was importing customers from Prestashop to magento and just put the
prestashoppassword:prestashophash

passwords are recognized but i have a HUGE problem now all this customers can’t request new passwords if they forgot them , i tried to send them an auto-generated password from the Manage customers tab still email never shows.... anyone have this with imported Customers?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lugobox

Total Posts:  61

lugobox - 23 February 2011 11:59 AM

this worked for me i was importing customers from Prestashop to magento and just put the
prestashoppassword:prestashophash

passwords are recognized but i have a HUGE problem now all this customers can’t request new passwords if they forgot them , i tried to send them an auto-generated password from the Manage customers tab still email never shows.... anyone have this with imported Customers?

never mind… results that all testing users i used they received their email in the junk ...sorry for the post

Magento Community
Magento Community

viktor117

Total Posts:  2

Works fine. Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

cloverpeek

Total Posts:  3

does this work if I take my data from Magento Go to Magento Commerce