Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do I keep “expired” new products from showing up on the New Products page? 

linuxdream

Total Posts:  1

As with most of you, I have a number of products with “Set Product as New from Date” and “Set Product as New to Date” dates set. However, on a number of these products,the “to Date” is set to some time last month yet they are still showing on the New Products page. Obviously, these date ranges are expired and old by about a month yet the products still show up on the New Products page. I found one other reference to this problem in the forums but the thread died with no solution.

Anyone experiencing the same thing, or better yet, have a solution?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

reststop

Total Posts:  15

Without looking at the code to see what is happening, I can only speculate.

However, speculating that the code is correct, it could be a caching issue, that once it’s in the cache, it continues to be displayed even though it’s expired. (this really is an off-the-wall guess).  Another possibility is the end-date check is wrong, and any product that is considered “new” at any time will potentially show up.

Try turning off your caching and if the problem goes away, that could be it.  Somewhere else someone mentioned disabling the cache and re-enabling it, to solve a problem with displaying some products.

[Note: I really am just speculating.  But, I have been known to be right once more than 50-50 in cases like this.]

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I’m speculating too, but it could be a date field mismatch.

I noticed that the javascript that does the calendar enters the date in mm/d/yy format. That might not be getting translated correctly to the database which wants yyyy-mm-dd although mySql does a good job of transforming dates for the most part.  If you look directly into the database with phpmyadmin, does the date look correct?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

Are you using Magento’s built in “new product” block?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community