Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Awaiting stable version of the CMS? 

rolly

Total Posts:  6
Bristol, UK

Hi,
We’ve downloaded Magento’s preview releases a couple of times now and have noticed that because of the adding of new features and therefore data fields to the software the new install completely screws up any product inventory data that we’ve added to the database. We want to build out our site as much as possible so that we’re ready to go live the minute Varien post a Release candidate to the site. What I’m wondering, though, is whether Varien will be in a position to announce a pre-release candidate in the coming weeks ahead of the final release candidate that will be sufficiently stable in respect of the data set so that we can start populating the site with real product content ahead of the official release? If the official recommendation is that one shouldn’t do this type of work until the launch of the release candidate, then we’ll live with that. However, We’d like some sort of steer on this as we’re trying to plan out our work flow for the next couple of months.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@rolly - we do expect to have a release candidate. Such a version would freeze development of features and until then we recommend you try it out with the understanding that there may be issues.

Also, current versions are not upgradeable - this is important to note.

Hope this helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tassoman

Total Posts:  32
Bologna, Italy

So first Release Candidate will be the feature freeze one? Wil you include some other method of translation? Something better than CSV? ... like GetText for example.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We looked into using GetText and will consider moving to it in later versions. For now and for the first stable release (unless something changes) we will release using the CSV files. The main reason for this is the need for a special editor for use with GetText. I know that there are some free ones out there but we did not want to start a whole discussion around this, and decided to go, as I said, with CSV.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Lopo

Total Posts:  30

YoavKutner - 09 January 2008 06:41 PM

We looked into using GetText and will consider moving to it in later versions. For now and for the first stable release (unless something changes) we will release using the CSV files. The main reason for this is the need for a special editor for use with GetText. I know that there are some free ones out there but we did not want to start a whole discussion around this, and decided to go, as I said, with CSV.

Please, think again. Translating with CVS is a pain and almost the same than translating plain text files.

With GetText—you said it—you will gave a lot of diferent tools for translators to use.
They will choose the one they like best on the OS they like best. I don’t see any argument for a discussion in that!

Besides that you’ll have Ubuntu’s Launchpad and/or your own instance of Entrans.

Doing it latter will force translators to re-start using another tool.

Best,
Lopo

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tassoman

Total Posts:  32
Bologna, Italy

I’ve gived up waiting for stable release.

The specific software you mean for translation is Free Software so how far specific is, it’s still open. Maybe you really don’t like free software such as open source.

More, there are many system out there to develope with gettext: for example there’s also a Drupal’s module that lets you start a shared translation website similar to launchpad.

More of more: gettext sources are plaintext and there are also tons of libraries to manage it (I assume into Zend Framework also).

I’ll stop with Magento until that problem will be solved or sources will be quite stable to be translated.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community