Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using Category navigation bar AND a Vertical Category navigation bar {SOLVED}

ben_h

Total Posts:  3

Hi there, Magento noob here, my first post

I have a question regarding having 2 separate category navigation bars.  The horizontal bar at the top of the page is the default.  And I have been following another thread with interest which talks about solutions for using a vertical navigation bar.

My question is : is it possible to have one set of categories in the horizontal bar - and - another set of categories in the vertical bar ?  So yes that is two different sets of categories.

I have one set of categories sitting under “default category” which appear nicely in the horizontal bar.  Is it possible to have another “parent category” like “default category” to store another set of categories - and if so, how would I access/display those categories and attach products to them.

Why am I asking this question ?  I am setting up a toy shop - I would to like to see age group categories across the top and product type categories down the side.  And I would like to see both sets of categories appear on every page including the home page.

I have been experimenting with product attributes, which work nicely, but of course these only appear in the layered navigation once you have clicked on a category.  Or is it possible to have product attributes (for all products) appearing on the home page ?  (although I realise that it is category/product driven)

If anyone has any ideas on how to implement any of this, I would be very grateful to hear from them.  I don’t really want to go down the route of changing core scripts.

Great product - keep up the good work everyone

Many thanks for reading.
Ben

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ben_h

Total Posts:  3

I found the answer from various forum threads

I used a variation of the solution Peter Hamilton provided and used top level categories across and sub categories down the side - the vertical navigation bar (down the side) showing only specific sub categories - its a bit of a workaround - but it’ll do for now

So this issue is solved

Ben

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community