Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Host limitation on number of files

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

I have over 9000 products that I used the data flow to import all to Magento. I put all images in the import directory. After importing all products, I found out that magento makes an additional copy of each file in the media/products directory. Then when you browse the product on the website, it ads another copy of the file to the cache. With this method, magento is actually tripling the number of images for each product.
I don’t understand why does this and not using the files located in the import directory, by just changing the path?
The problem is that my website stopped working due to “Quota Limitation”. After I contacted my hosting provider (Hostmonster), they said the problem is not the file size, the problem is NUMBER of files and directories. They calculated the current number of files and DIRECTORIES well over 70,000 for a store with 9000 product!!!!!!!!!

My question: how this can be fixed now to be able to list 9000 products without the problem of file number limitation?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

lotusseedsD
Mentor

Total Posts:  1144

One of my clients (not running Magento Store) recently got a warning from hostgator about quote limitation too. the max nodes are 50,000. It turned out the problem was from junk emails from a couples of her ex-employees’s email accounts accumulated. One account had over 10,000 junk mail. I deleted all unwanted accounts, the problem was fixed.

Anyhow, because of this, it has brought to my attention choosing web host for magento sites that don’t have file nodes limits.

SimpleHelix told me they don’t have this limitation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

zadpro

Total Posts:  247
FL, USA

I have my email account setup on Google Apps so this is not a problem for me.
I don’t have the time to transfer my site to another host. I will delete half of the images for now and I will use same image for all three sizes. That should save some space for now.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community