Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Some words on the product review system

Preudomme

Total Posts:  11

The product review system is nice in many ways but I think it lacks some little functionality for the customer-side as well as the admin-side.

For customers:

1. For just reading the reviews customer is directed to another page. This is ok to some extend but the thing is, the page we are directed looks almost exactly the same as the product page. Only the image zooming tool is gone. So where are the reviews? Ohhh, I have to scroll down to see them. I think maybe an ajax implementation or simple html anchor ON the product page will be nicer for ease of use.

2. After submitting the review customer should be informed about the approval process. There is no sign of it.

For Admin:

1. Admin cannot know how many reviews are pending for approval, unless he/she checks the pending reviews page often. Maybe a dashboard for the admin area will be better (like in My Account on the frontend), giving general info on not only the orders but also, pending reviews, simple sales reports, etc.

2. When viewing the pending reviews page, it’s not possible to bulk approve or disapprove items. You have to do this one-by-one by clicking on every item, which will be very dissappointing if you consider a hundred or thousand reviews a day. Bulk approve/disapprove or at least approving from the reviews list screen will be nice.

That’s all for now, I’ll post my other comments when I find time to play my favorite toy !

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Johan

Total Posts:  104
Sweden

From a SEO perspective.

I just saw the the reviews are on a separate link. I think it would serve the product page better to keep all reviews on the same page. You could hide them, by using CSS? or perhaps ajax? until you click the “view all” link.

The reason for this is: all reviews add content, search engines love content. The more content on the same page the better. If you split these two up, the product page gain no value by having the reviews on a separate page, both for search keywords and content to code ratio.

Imagine a blog with a blog post. And all the 100 comments are on a separate page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Johan - Although some sites might do it the way you describe, most of the big ones (amazon, newegg etc...) do have the full reviews on a separate page. If a site would only have a few reviews per product page this might be a good idea to support displaying all the reviews on the product page, and maybe using the CSS method you mentioned. I am not sure Ajax would help in this case for SEO. In any case this is something that can easily enough be changed and customized in future design packages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

oakRunk

Total Posts:  117

Any hints at how we can do this now?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

mikefifield

Total Posts:  49

@YoavKutner: Is there a way to set a custom title for the product review pages? I agree with you having the reviews on a separate page is better for SEO but duplicate titles is not good at all. Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

israelibadamm

Total Posts:  86

mikefifield - 27 December 2008 12:30 PM

@YoavKutner: Is there a way to set a custom title for the product review pages? I agree with you having the reviews on a separate page is better for SEO but duplicate titles is not good at all. Thanks!

I have been trying to find a solution to this problem myself but i am having trouble to find any info with the new Google search instead of the old one.

Magento does not transform the URL of the review page, nor it changes the title. Both hurting SEO value tremendously. It is free content and search engines love it.

We need to:

1. Change the URL rewrites:
I believe the simple solution will simply be to generate the same URL + the word Review (either at the beginning or the end)

2. Change the title Tag:
I believe simply adding the word review to the title tag of the review page will remove the search engine duplicated titles issue.

Anyone found a solution to this problems already?
Anyone knows what file controls the output of the review page? maybe it will be possible to add the word review to the title meta tag.

thanks for your help guys

Yossi

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adjustware
Guru

Total Posts:  654

Preudomme - 02 September 2007 09:11 PM

The product review system .. lacks some little functionality
For Customer

1. For just reading the reviews customer is directed to another page. ...

For Admin:

1. Admin cannot know how many reviews are pending for approval, unless he/she checks the pending reviews page often.

The first issue can be addressed with the Reviews Booster extension. Its main purpose is to encourage customers to leave more reviews by automatically following up them, and then show reviews in a nice and clean way as a sidebar at the product (ant other pages).
You can easily configure this sidebar block to show reviews for current product only (and with the highest rating to motivate to buy).

Solution for the second problem is Admin Email Notifications extension. It notifies you each time new review is posted, new tag is submitted, new order is placed or new customer registers with your store.

Magento Community
Magento Community

tiffa31

Total Posts:  2

Most of the big sties like Amazon and Apple do have a separate page for all the reviews however, they also list a few reviews on the product page with a “Read All Reviews” link. 

Has anyone been able to accomplish this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

nadshez

Total Posts:  48

Preudomme - 02 September 2007 09:11 PM

For Admin:

1. Admin cannot know how many reviews are pending for approval, unless he/she checks the pending reviews page often. Maybe a dashboard for the admin area will be better (like in My Account on the frontend), giving general info on not only the orders but also, pending reviews, simple sales reports, etc.

There is a free extension that does the above .. and does it well. I am using it on a live 1.4.1 site

Dashboard Review Extension

Magento Community
Magento Community

mtaylor1

Total Posts:  1

@israelibadamm

What you said s spot on, future Magento release REALLY need to address the duplicate page google / seo issue.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

The reviews system is not so bad, taking into account there are also a few free extensions to show reviews at the sidebars, like Reviews Sidebar

Magento Community
Magento Community

danishsven

Total Posts:  44

Also you can trye this one. I hope it will help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

FMEExtensions
Mentor

Total Posts:  1298

Try FME Product Testimonials

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/fme-product-testimonials.html

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community