Magento Forum

Tutorials for Magento Development

radalin

Total Posts:  29
Istanbul, Turkey

Hi,

I’m curious if there are some tutorials or coding example to develop in magento. I would like to install and use it but I’m not very sure where to start.

I would like to know if there are some online development resources about magento.

thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

unfortunately there isn’t one very good place to find this - as of now you have to scour the forums and possibly buy the PHP Architect’s book on Magento (which is now slightly out dated but still relevant).

A place to start would be Magento’s design guide to get a feel for things, and then searching the forums for specific items (and for code snippets that you can very handily re-use!!)

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/3698/
Moshe’s posts in this thread are very good to know (esp see 1st post on 2nd page)

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4454/
This is a long thread packed with good information

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/13046/
This thread has an answer to a popular question and might also server to show you a method for moving blocks / items around.

Magento Community
Magento Community

radalin

Total Posts:  29
Istanbul, Turkey

Thanks for the info. The posts were really helpful on how the mangeto generally works and how to customize.

But the thing is on Moshe’s post, the code do not seem to work. I’m curious if some of the things said on these topics depends too much on versions?

I mean is with every new release, there are things which will mostly blow up? I’m a bit disappointed on that part.

thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

satansfx

Total Posts:  3

Yes, I think that alot of the coding is version specific. Like for example… the Menu on the left side. I have tried this code on 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and each time it crashes the page. So I think it was originaly wrote for sub 1.1, I could be wrong… but I still cannot get it to work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nikefido
Guru

Total Posts:  481
New Haven, CT

radalin - 03 September 2008 04:15 AM

Thanks for the info. The posts were really helpful on how the mangeto generally works and how to customize.

But the thing is on Moshe’s post, the code do not seem to work. I’m curious if some of the things said on these topics depends too much on versions?

I mean is with every new release, there are things which will mostly blow up? I’m a bit disappointed on that part.

thanks.

It’s possible there are errors in the code there rasberry

It’s definitely version dependent, as Magento is still changing things until they get a solid version to debug (if they go that route...)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community