Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to categorize products after importing them

Capitaine Commerce

Total Posts:  68
Lille, France

Hi !
At last I succeed in importing a csv file in the Magento database, but there is still an oblivious problem.
Products are not stored in categories so you have edit manually each product to put it in a category.
Needless to say it’s a pain in the ass if you got more a 100 products and more.
So i tried this little query in my phpmyadmin to fix the problem :

insert into catalog_category_product (product_idselect entity_id from catalog_product_entity;

Which worked pretty cool, except that my products don’t show up in the front office. So I took a look in the back office and could see that all my products where actually stored in a category but their names and prices were missing.
Well that means that I miss something somewhere, some kind of a little SQL query, but which one ? Can anyone tell me ?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Hi Capitaine Commerce,

What do you mean saying that the products were imported successfully, but the same time they don’t have no names nor prices ?
Regarding the SQL you posted here - what category do you try to assign all the products to ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark_Kimsal

Total Posts:  186
Michigan, USA

@Capitaine Commerce
Your SQL is missing a category ID

Clean up what you ran before with:

DELETE from catalog_category_product WHERE category_id 0

Then run this modified statement to insert all products into 1 category

insert into catalog_category_product (category_idproduct_idselect 3,entity_id from catalog_product_entity

Change 3 to whichever category ID you want to put these into.

Strange that the import doesn’t let you put products into categories.

EDIT:
Shoot, or just do this

UPDATE catalog_category_product SET category_id 3 where category_id =0

Magento Community
Magento Community

Capitaine Commerce

Total Posts:  68
Lille, France

Hi guys !
Thank you for your responses. Indeed my SQL query what incomplete, but that doesn’t change the problem when I assign a category to a product with this query.

Please have a look at the picture I attached with this thread so can you can see what I mean when saying “You can’t see the name or the price of the product”

Image Attachments
mage_screenshot_1.png

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michael_1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

Could check what name and price does any of those products have in the store ‘Praticado’ ? Just make sure you have selected this store in store drop-down on product edit page. And what are product status and visibilty values in that store ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Alessandro Perrone

Total Posts:  13

I’d need to add existing already categorized products to other categories (i.e. a product in category 1 must be inserted also in category 5). I have Magento 1.1.1 and I know that you can do that from the product detail->categories but as I’d need to do this on a great number of products, is there an automatic way to do this without editing each single product?

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community