Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Design Documentation - How’s it coming along? 

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Any updates on the documentation you teased us with back in early October?:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/magento-behind-the-scenes-design-documentation/

wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We are waiting for the template structure to be 100% finalized (and it should be real soon). Once its done and released, documentation will follow.

It will be detailed and include a number of screencasts smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Travis

Total Posts:  125

Damn, that was quick.  smile

Thanks Roy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

anytime smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Josh

Total Posts:  5

I was just wondering if the template structure has been finalized yet?  Also, could you please provide a status update on the design documentation?

Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

iblastoff

Total Posts:  252

you will know when its ready. it’s not like it’s in magentos interest to keep it a secret locked up somewhere. constantly asking “is it ready yet? is it ready yet?” does not speed anything along.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

We hope the template structure will be final in the next release and the documentation will be released then.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Josh

Total Posts:  5

Thank you for the update Roy.  Your team is doing some great work and I appreciate it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

Design Documentation is now online at http://www.magentocommerce.com/design_guide/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Lopez

Total Posts:  51

Hi there…
I’ve read the designer’s guide and stuff..specially the intro in layouts..but the thing is that the examples featured there are not for the version I have ( 0.7.14800 , current? ) ...I don’t have any of the xml files you mention there...confused
I try making changes applying the same logic with catalog.xml and page.xml but couldn’t get to it…
I’m kind of stuck....I find all screencasts , the webinar and some of the examples really useful...but I’m still on the dark with a lot of things…
Seems to me like (on templating) the skin issue has been explained really good...but the application part (layout specially) needs more documentation..as is deeper into Magento’s behaviour than just css…

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Los Angeles, CA

Make sure you review this as well:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/comments/designing-for-magento-webinar-recording-now-available/

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Lopez

Roy ,
thanks for the support and the quick response....
I did saw the webinar it was useful for some things...but still having lot’s of trouble getting it right.
for example..on the exercise shown on the webinar, why am I editing the checkout.xml to move the minicart sidebox, when I am looking at a product page ? Doesn’t the checkout.xml be the layout for when I’m actually on the checkout page?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Pablo Lopez: checkout.xml defines all layout updates that are introduced by Mage_Checkout module.

Inside this file you have handles which describe the pages changes will be made.

So for example, <default> handle will change all pages, <checkout_onepage_index> will change checkout page only.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Lopez

Thanks a lot for the time and patience, really !  You guys are doing a great job trying to get people to understand how Magento works.
Hopefully I ‘ll end up getting it straight sometime smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Lopez

Hi Ohminu,
i’m going a bit crazy here.....I try doing the simple example presented on the webinar, but didn’t give me any changes…
I’m changing this code

<reference name="right">
            <
block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" before="-" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
for this code
<reference name="left">
            <
block type="checkout/cart_sidebar" name="cart_sidebar" before="-" template="checkout/cart/sidebar.phtml"/>
        </
reference>

on the <default> handler of my checkout.xml file.
But I when I reload the page after saving, the minicart is still on the right side.  I don’t know what I am doing wrong here…
Sorry if this post is a bit off the initial thread....

Magento Community
Magento Community

Pablo Lopez

Well- nevermind, I made a fresh new install of magento and pick it up from there and now it’s solved...probably I have other things messed up...rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2