Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Newsletter sign up for non-members

whiskeytown

Total Posts:  17

I’m just trying to get my head around how the newsletter sign-up might happen for non-registered users.

I can see from the demo store that I can set newsletter options when I sign up for an account, but I’d also like for any casual visitor to be able to sign up for the newsletter without creating an account. Is this possible?

And if it is possible would you be able to add a few extra fields to both the newsletter sign-up form as well as the initial account sign-up form (like name, email, clothing size for example).

Thanks in advance.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Hi, yes there is a facility. Check demo site , left column bottom box you will see a subscribe-box. Just enter your email address. I haven’t used this yet on my site (sent newsletters) but the facility is there.. Good luck

Demo link:
http://demo.magentocommerce.com/apparel

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

I was looking at adding some custom fields to registration and/or newsletter subscription and I noticed that the way my settings are allows anyone to be able to cause an email to be sent out. It’s just begging for abuse.  I haven’t checked to see how robust the email sending code is, so I can’t say that spammers can’t use the subscription form to spam the world.

I checked the demo site, wondering if that newsletter box was only supposed to show in the account dashboard, but it is there on the main pages of the store as harry12bar says. I don’t their settings are for confirmation of email, though, so it doesn’t give the “confirmation email sent” message like mine does.

I really don’t see a good way to do the newsletter subscription. My client doesn’t want to pay for an autoresponder (I would just use Aweber), but we need to confirm the email address. I could take the subscription form off the main pages and only have it in the account dashboard, since he’s not allowing guest checkout either.

I’m tempted to just turn off the newsletter functionality and tell my client that I can’t ensure the security of it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community