Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Install Step by Step Tutorials

Frederik Krautwald

Total Posts:  58
Reykjavík, Iceland

FileZilla also has the option of recursive CHMOD

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RJH Enterprises

Total Posts:  6
Warrington, Cheshire UK

I always use firefox with the fireFTP plugin. I have always found this the best. Another useful plugin is the developers tool bar!

Magento Community
Magento Community

artmechanix

Total Posts:  39

RJH Enterprises....

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your recommendation of Firefox’s FTP add-on. You’ve just saved me a few days of time.

I’m having a huge problem with my current installation of Magento, and I can’t get any answers regarding them on the forums, so I’m left to re-install and rebuild the store from scratch, in hopes of that working.  Every time I tried FTP, it would stop after only a few folders and it was taking hours just to install individual directories with Fetch FTP, so my host had to install it twice, as they don’t allow SSH access.

Anyway, with the new problem, I was in the same boat… Fetch FTP kept locking up after only a few folders.  However I grabbed FireFTP right after seeing your post… in an hour’s time, FireFTP is nearing the end of uploading, where with Fetch, I would have probably still been working on the first two directories.  I’m hoping that FireFTP will also have less problems with permissions as well.  What a huge time saver.  Thanks for mentioning this wonderful FTP client.

I will have to check out Developer’s Tool as well.  So far, for coding issues and so forth, their add-on Firebug, has also been a really big help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ArtjomZab

Total Posts:  8

Hi, I am just attempting to install Magento - Demo Store on my localhost. But the installation failed because the php extension cURL is missing! I’m using the latest version of xampp on windows vista. I unzipped the zipped cURL library directly in the php directory and modified the php.ini by removing the “;” in front of ”;extension=cURL...”. But it still does not work! Please help. question

Magento Community
Magento Community

blizzard182

Total Posts:  115
Argentina

ArtjomZab - 09 October 2008 11:46 PM

Hi, I am just attempting to install Magento - Demo Store on my localhost. But the installation failed because the php extension cURL is missing! I’m using the latest version of xampp on windows vista. I unzipped the zipped cURL library directly in the php directory and modified the php.ini by removing the “;” in front of ”;extension=cURL...”. But it still does not work! Please help. question

There is more than one file that has the extension=cURL string. I believe there are php.ini, php5.ini, php4.ini and if I am not mistaken there is another in some other folder.

Just make a search of *.ini files and search inside of the files for the string extension=curl

I had the same problem with XAMPP.

---------------------------------------------------

On another note, I’ve seen many people having the Internal Server Error (I had it myself) so I made a page in the WIKI about it.

Roy, please feel free to add it here. The problem is when you have phpSuExec installed in the server. And the permissions is just one of the problems. You also need to add another settings in the php.ini file.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/wiki/installing_magento_in_a_server_with_phpsuexec

Magento Community
Magento Community

Miska

Total Posts:  20

I get all kinds of Errors on my screen while trying to install Magento Commerce on my server…

Latest: ‘Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘{’ in /data/members/paid/e/n/enter2xit.com/htdocs/shop/install.php on line 123’ wtf?
Before I got ‘Internal Server Error’ and when I erased the .htaccess file I got something about the ‘cgi-bin wasn’t located’…

Tryed to remodify the .htaccess file, erase it, etc etc working around with the cgi-bin/php5-cgi without any luck at all....

Help? ^^

Magento Community
Magento Community

ArtjomZab

What are your server and system attributes? What kind of php version is running on your server? And at what point of the installation do you get these errors? rolleyes

Magento Community
Magento Community

Miska

ArtjomZab - 12 October 2008 07:15 AM

What are your server and system attributes? What kind of php version is running on your server? And at what point of the installation do you get these errors? rolleyes

Server: Lycos Europe (Spray.se)
Attributes: no idea what you mean with this!?

PHP version(s): both PHP4 and PHP 5.0.2 are running on the server
MySQL version: 5

Just after uploading all the necessary files on the FTP and typing the address on the address field on the browser where the errors occur.
This is the latest error I get:

Whoops, it looks like you have an invalid PHP version.
Magento supports PHP 5.2.0 or newer. Find out how to install Magento using PHP-CGI as a work-around.

I have the php5-cgi both on root/cgi-bin/php5-cgi and in the shop catalogue /shop/cgi-bin/php5-cgi, same place as where Magento Commerce is located.
Reason why I have the catalogue ‘/shop’ is that it’s a subdomain and the ordinary site is running on /www.

Any idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ArtjomZab

It is very likely that your hosting provider does not allow as much control of the server as it is necessary to install magento on a not php5.2 server. Make sure you installed magento correctly as described here. I had equal problems running projekts on not configurable servers. Just contact your provider or get your own virtual server, which cost about 10 Euro (Germany) a month. There you always have latest software and full control. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

Miska

ArtjomZab - 12 October 2008 08:51 AM

It is very likely that your hosting provider does not allow as much control of the server as it is necessary to install magento on a not php5.2 server. Make sure you installed magento correctly as described here. I had equal problems running projekts on not configurable servers. Just contact your provider or get your own virtual server, which cost about 10 Euro (Germany) a month. There you always have latest software and full control. wink

I have followed all the details step-by-step and I don’t get it to work.
I’m bout to loose my mind here soon if it won’t work.

Why make a Commerce store with only PHP 5.2 support and not compatible with older versions e.g. 4.x or 5.0.x? ^^
What’s so great with the latest version? They all do the same anyways…

Well, I’m gonna make a call to the server provider later today and have a chat with them on what could be the problem.
Unless they won’t support this I have to get my own virtual/dedicated server so I can manage all the necessary files, although it’s been a while since I worked with *nix based OSs and everything I learned back in school, which was years ago, has been lost during the time due no practice at all of these systems…

Let’s say, that I get myself a dedicated server which is using RedHat 9 as an example. Is it hard to configure so that everything runs without any problems?
And do you have any lists of European server providers with English support that won’t cost too much?

EDIT: Nevermind about the above text from me… Now I know the reason.
Found this in the Forums: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/19923/
And the answer on that is following: http://shop.enter2xit.com/magento-check.php

Well, I would appreciate to get in touch with some cheap hosting providers around the EU/Sweden with VPS/Dedicated servers so I can make it all work! Anyone, including you ArtjomZab, who knows where I can get a cheap server from?

Magento Community
Magento Community

blizzard182

Total Posts:  115
Argentina

Miska - 12 October 2008 01:30 PM

Well, I would appreciate to get in touch with some cheap hosting providers around the EU/Sweden with VPS/Dedicated servers so I can make it all work! Anyone, including you ArtjomZab, who knows where I can get a cheap server from?

Wow...they don’t support a lot of features.

Hostgator and MonsterHost (I am not sure about the last one) fully supports Magento.

I am using a shared hosting provider here in Argentina (They support is great and for you guys should be really cheap). I am still testing the speed but it seems fair enough. http://www.duplika.net

There is a couple of other hosts. configbox.net (if you know spanish) seems a nice host. Too expensive for me since it’s in Euros.

Make a google search for ‘Magento Hosting’. There are a lot of hosts that now support Magento or even offer to install it.

I would suggest you send them the link to the check php file and then make them send you a screenshot with the result.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

Miska

blizzard182 - 12 October 2008 01:51 PM

Miska - 12 October 2008 01:30 PM

Wow...they don’t support a lot of features.

Hostgator and MonsterHost (I am not sure about the last one) fully supports Magento.

I am using a shared hosting provider here in Argentina (They support is great and for you guys should be really cheap). I am still testing the speed but it seems fair enough. http://www.duplika.net

There is a couple of other hosts. configbox.net (if you know spanish) seems a nice host. Too expensive for me since it’s in Euros.

Make a google search for ‘Magento Hosting’. There are a lot of hosts that now support Magento or even offer to install it.

I would suggest you send them the link to the check php file and then make them send you a screenshot with the result.

Good luck

Thanks for your help m8.

Duplika doesn’t seem to be a good idea. Paying $7.95 for 1GB space isn’t that much, due today I’m paying $10.00 for 4GB.

I called the server hosting today and they said that their VPS hosts can be re-modified to work along with Magento Commerce, so on friday I’ll take that server and try to work around with the DNS so I can make both the website and the VPS server to work together so I get more disk space. This is actually needed due I got tons of material that I both sell and have to show up.

Thanks anyways guys! smile

Best regards,
Miska

Magento Community
Magento Community

CnSGD

Total Posts:  1

Ok here is my issue.  I get the 500 error after doing the downloader install. 
I have a PHP 5.2.6
MySQL version 5.0.51a

I have tried to install this several times and honestly I so would love to have this as my store but I can’t afford to pay for a professional install.  I just have to throw my hands up and say I give.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.41 Server at http://www.digiscrapelite.com Port 80

Magento Community
Magento Community

fotoprofessor

Total Posts:  5

I made a guide how to install hash for people who have Strato vServer.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/20516/

Magento Community
Magento Community

joyously
Guru

Total Posts:  447

Richard F. - 20 February 2008 03:25 AM

Hi there,
Also, I wonder if anyone noticed the Magento store loads slowly. On a blank browser window, when a URL is typed up and enter pressed, a site like http://www.engadget.com loads right away. With the same internet connection and also with a blank page, my Magento demo store takes 5-6 times as long: it usually gets stuck at the beginning of the URL, it seems once it’s resolved, then the page loads fairly quickly. I don’t know how to pock around this. Would appreciate any ideas.

This slow load at the beginning is probably due to the javascripts loading. When a script is loading it blocks any other download.
You can speed this up by moving all the scripts to the bottom of the page. This is recommended in the Yahoo guide that is referenced in the htaccess file.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community