Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Install Step by Step Tutorials

jaskarn

Total Posts:  8
Auckland, New Zealand

Hi,
I did a reinstall but still the same problem. Once i get into the wizard, i specify the database settings- i created the database using phpMyAdmin, and after specifying the user name db settings, etc and when i clicked next i got the error again. URL is: http://www.dhattgroup.co.nz/dgtech/magento. I guess ill have to wait for my host to upgrade or change hosts.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

So what MySQL server version do you have now?

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaskarn

Auckland, New Zealand

Hi,
Currently MySQL version 4.0.27-standard

I am in the process of changing hosts and am uploading magento to another host already which supports php5 and MySQL version 5.0.45-community

Magento Community
Magento Community

artstyle

Total Posts:  7

Hi,
I was very excited to try Magento. i downloaded and tried to install magento-1.0.19870
Unfortunately I get

Fatal error: Call to a member function children() on a non-object in /home/content/l/i/n/mydomain/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php on line 158

This is line 158
$modules = $this->getNode(’modules’)->children();

Sorry I posted this in another thread but am getting no response.

Thank you in advance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ivax23

Total Posts:  24

Another installation tutorial in spanish:

http://www.elblogdemagento.com/como-instalar-magento/

Magento Community
Magento Community

nolawi

Total Posts:  13

Aha so it seems there is a lot of installation problems… I use lunarpages and had them updgrade me to the php5 server…

followed all the instructions to no avail… i figured its the htaccess issues… but the documentation on
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/installing-magento-on-a-php4-server

is not accurate or not easy to read because the htaccess file is so confusing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sorbis

Total Posts:  6

I’m only looking into Magento< what version would you suggest me to go for?

Magento Community
Magento Community

rorschach

NYC

Hi All,
This is my first post here.  Excited about transitioning an existing site over to magento. 

Anyone here have any experience installing Magento on MediaLayer Application Hosted configurations?  I am currently trying to install full version 1.0.19870.4 and am having issues with the installer redirecting to localhost (my machine!?) for some inexplicable reason.  I’ve attached the HTTP header session (some host / server names have been changed to protect the innocent smile )

FYI - I ran magento-check php script and it had no complaints..

Apache 2.2.8
PHP 5.2.5

Any help will be appreciated - I can’t wait to get this sucker running! 

begin HTTP headers capture::

http://my-server.medialayer.net/~MY_HOST_NAME/magento/

GET /~MY_HOST_NAME/magento/ HTTP/1.1
Host: my-server.medialayer.net
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0
Accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: session=um3k27H1hAiWgJIDPRIJEqzEX5bovIGp2HZ2No34wkYd3qoRG5kUvjgSmFHhXVXX; magento=nuo8zjg0in4fmvuj1pwgc8w02keozqzk

HTTP/1.x 302 Found
Content-Encoding: gzip
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:18:30 GMT
Connection: close
Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189; expires=Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:18:30 GMT; path=/; domain=my-server.medialayer.net
Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Location: http://localhost/index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189
Content-Length: 20
----------------------------------------------------------
http://localhost/index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189 <=== WHY LOCALHOST?

GET /index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189 HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052906 Firefox/3.0

HTTP/1.x 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:18:49 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.2.4
Content-Length: 216
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

Magento Community
Magento Community

hyou

Total Posts:  3

Anyone has been able to successfully install on MAC Leopard?

Magento Community
Magento Community

buddhi

Total Posts:  4

rorschach - 28 June 2008 04:20 PM

Hi All,
This is my first post here.  Excited about transitioning an existing site over to magento. 

Anyone here have any experience installing Magento on MediaLayer Application Hosted configurations?  I am currently trying to install full version 1.0.19870.4 and am having issues with the installer redirecting to localhost (my machine!?) for some inexplicable reason.  I’ve attached the HTTP header session (some host / server names have been changed to protect the innocent smile )

FYI - I ran magento-check php script and it had no complaints..

Apache 2.2.8
PHP 5.2.5

Any help will be appreciated - I can’t wait to get this sucker running! 

begin HTTP headers capture::

http://my-server.medialayer.net/~MY_HOST_NAME/magento/

GET /~MY_HOST_NAME/magento/ HTTP/1.1
Host: my-server.medialayer.net
Cookie: session=um3k27H1hAiWgJIDPRIJEqzEX5bovIGp2HZ2No34wkYd3qoRG5kUvjgSmFHhXVXX; magento=nuo8zjg0in4fmvuj1pwgc8w02keozqzk

HTTP/1.x 302 Found
Content-Encoding: gzip
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:18:30 GMT
Connection: close
Set-Cookie: PHPSESSID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189; expires=Sun, 29 Jun 2008 01:18:30 GMT; path=/; domain=my-server.medialayer.net
Expires: Thu, 19 Nov 1981 08:52:00 GMT
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate, post-check=0, pre-check=0
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Location: http://localhost/index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189
Content-Length: 20
http://localhost/index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189 <=== WHY LOCALHOST?

GET /index.php/install/?SID=aa162044641f7cae1991387fd7d85189 HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost

HTTP/1.x 404 Not Found
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 00:18:49 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Win32) PHP/5.2.4
Content-Length: 216
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

ON MEDIA LAYER (don’t know about other hosts)

check: Skip Base URL validation before next step

and try installing.. it worked for me, still setting up though.. dunno what else await me.. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

magenkate

Total Posts:  4

It would be beneficial to have a Linux virtual machine created with Magento pre-installed and working

Magento Community
Magento Community

ericinwisconsin

Total Posts:  2

I’ve been working with Magento for a couple of months now. I just tried the magento-1.0.19870.4 version. This is the FIRST version of Magento that I’ve been able to install without issues of one kind or another. After all my b*tching (to myself, mostly), I want to give credit where credit is due. Great job, guys!
cool smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bidu

Total Posts:  1

Hello,

Could you help me anybody?I couldn’t install the script, because I got “PHP Extension “pdo_mysql” must be loaded” error.

First I did run the magtchk.php and I got this: Congratulations! Your server meets the requirements for Magento.

I uploaded the Magento to my server and I wanted setup, but I got the error.

I did run again the magtchk.php and I got this:

“Your server does not meet the following requirements in order to install Magento.
The following requirements failed, please contact your hosting provider in order to receive assistance with meeting the system requirements for Magento:

* You are missing the pdo extension
* You are missing the pdo_mysql extension”

If I delete the Magento the check is good. I don’t understand it.

The server use PHPSuExec.

This is the php info without Magento: http://webbolt.info/info.php

And with Magento: http://webbolt.info/magento/info.php

What is the problem? Thanks a lot!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fibo

Total Posts:  107
Marseille, France

Bidu - 18 August 2008 09:28 AM

This is the php info without Magento: http://webbolt.info/info.php

And with Magento: http://webbolt.info/magento/info.php

What is the problem? Thanks a lot!

Lookingh at the 2 links shows that there are using different php.ini. Presumably the magento one tells something about pdo…

You might consider:
1 - Making a backup copy of magento’s php.ini
[SIDENOTE: since you have cpanel and if space is not a problem, I would recommend that ypu make a backup copy of your magento file-tree. And if space is widely available, do a backup copy before doing any significant change… you will save lots of time!]

2 - editing the lines handling pdo.

General note: There are cases where magento-check diagnoses a bad configuration, but where magento runs anyway. So do not just rely on the message from the chack, try launching magento itself

Magento Community
Magento Community

Genisys

Total Posts:  7

"Infernal Server Error” (That’s NOT a sprelling mistake!)

Hi People,

Now been through some 16 re-attempts at Magento installation on a ‘HostingBay’ server in Oz (albeit I’m in the UK).
Initially there were three compatibility problems shown up by the magento-check.php which I referred to the server crew and they fixed.
The check now Congratulates me on using a compatible system.

So, I run the Install/Download extracted from the ‘magento-downloader-1.1.3.zip’ file and uploaded.
Whilst I can’t find any reference to suPHP or phpsuexec in the phpinfo report - the system goes directly to ‘Internal Server Error’ (500) If the Magento subdirectory has 777 rights OR any of the advised ‘uncomment’ changes to .htaccess.

With the directory set to 755, phase one will run ending with the “Download completed. You can proceed with installation” message, and [Continue Magento Installation Button]… But that’s it, Whatever I’ve tried regarding permissions and variations to .htaccess (from comments, suggestions and ideas springing from going through the destructions and forum posts) - I can’t get anything other than the ‘InFernal Server Error’ from there on.

The initial process log probably IS telling me where it hurts - but I’m not conversant with the CGI/pearl commands going on…
After the first line comment there are three warnings, everything else appears to download/install successfully.

Do the warnings declare the problem?  Can any of you spot the obvious mistake… like User skipped brain engagement phase?

The warnings / initial part of log =
Did not download optional dependencies: pear/XML_RPC, use --alldeps to download automatically

Warning: popen() has been disabled for security reasons in /home/digit875/public_html/go/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 247

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/digit875/public_html/go/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 248

Warning: pclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/digit875/public_html/go/downloader/pearlib/php/OS/Guess.php on line 256

pear/PEAR can optionally use package “pear/XML_RPC” (version >= 1.4.0)
------------------------------------- all clear / ok from here -------------------------

Your help and comments would be appreciated.

Nigel
[tag Genisys (Generic Information Systems)]

------------------------------------------------
Update 25th August 2008

Problem Resolved: Directory Permissions, some more Directory Permissions, Yet More Directory Permissions (and maybe a few file permissions), and a php.ini problem.

It would seem that the server the site is on really doesn’t like you leaving a potential security threat in the form of 777 permissions.

Initially the Install would only produce an ‘Internal Server Error’ Page.
When that was cleared by changing the /Downloads directory (and its subs) permissions (chmod) from 777 to 755 - the download/install ran ok.

So, then you get the [proceed] button - but the download/install in the meantime has created a lot of new directories - all with 777 permissions, so you need to use FTP or cPanel to sort these out before clicking that [proceed] link.

Ok, so maybe you can now get as far as the configure screen. In my case I couldn’t.
During earlier searching through forum posts regarding compatibility, I had come across an item that suggested a fix (in relevant circumstances where the path to resources was causing the system to declare that essential modules didn’t exist) - was to add a php.ini file - within which should be the line “php_flag short_open_tag on”: This was still in my Magento subdirectory.

The result was that whilst the overall site passed the magento-check.php routine, the same check from the Magento subdirectory reported that there was no PDO/MySQL functionality.
The Directory permissions were 755, there were no obvious conflicts in the relevant .htaccess files - so why was it OK on the site, but not in the Magento Directory?… Removed the php.ini - and full compatibility returned.

Now - finally through to the Admin Screen (Dashboard)… But none of the links worked.
There are a number of threads on this subject elsewhere.
But in short… Directory permissions again.  The Javascript directories had been missed in the earlier 777 to 755 chmod changes.
Hence the Drop-Down menus weren’t working. Changed those… And finally I can get into the site management.

Hoping this will help others with the same or similar problems.
It obviously depends on the Hosting set-up.
Mine (at HostingBay-Melbourne-Australia) is Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP5 (all with compatible versions, extensions & modules).
But this protection against security risks (which is good… IF you know about it) has caused three very long days of struggle.

Good luck with yours.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Further update 5th September 2008

3 Days doing CHMODS ! - Why don’t the FTP client programs do recursive permission setting ?
The supposed command line CHMOD -R directory/file to do this - fails (on the server I’m using)
returning a ‘no such Directory’ response.
Found that some FTP progs do offer recursion… but then do both files & folders the same… UGH!

Ahh! - Found ‘FlashFTP’ (flashfxp.com) - and… THIS IS THE ANSWER cool smile

It will CHMOD the entire tree from where you want - setting folders to one selection and files to another !!!!

Gosh, I wish I’d found this two weeks ago.

regards to all,

Genisys

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community