Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Previewing ‘new’ store

jaiwilliams

Total Posts:  7

So, besides the pre-existing demo store.  Where is it outlined in the User’s Guide or elsewhere on how exactly to “preview” the store that you’ve been configuring or at least log-in creating a userid to view the storefront?

I was able to come across the following old thread:

@Craig - After creating a new store in the admin under System->Configurations <change the Base URL<and <add the sub-directory<you are going to add. Then you need to <create sub-folders< as you describe. Then <copy the .htaccess file and the index.php file from one of your existing stores to the new directory<. Edit the index.php file to include the new store key here (the one that you entered under Store Code when you added the store): Mage::run(’store_key’);. If you have cache enabled you need to refresh the cache under system->Cache management. Refresh the store front end and you should see in the footer a select box with the new store.

I hope this helps.
Thanks
yoav

-- but I’m still not getting something here.  Seems to me that you’d copy the same set of folders (sub-folders) into this new directory, and just update the index.php w/the appropriate ‘store_key’; but trying that, didn’t work, I was prompted for an install; So, I’m now confused about exactly what should be copied over besides the .htaccess and index.php files - if there are supposed to be sub-folders in this new directory.  Does any of that make sense to anyone?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

hummingbird133

Total Posts:  9

The way I previewed my store was by logging into the admin panel.  Under the CMS dropdown menu select “Manage Pages”.  On the far right of each page name is a link called “Preview”.  Once I was previewing a page I could then access everything in the store as well as create test orders as both a guest and/or a registered user.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jaiwilliams

Total Posts:  7

Hi,

Thanks for the response.  I did think of that before and tried it, but my other store isn’t listed under that section at all.

:(

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community