Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Invisible Magento directory when trying to install? 

deeve007

Total Posts:  2

Hey guys,

I’ve downloaded the latest release, and extracted the .tar.gz file into a folder on my XAMPP localhost. However when I navigate there in my browser to find the folder and run the install the whole folder cannot be seen at all in the browser. If I remove the .htaccess file from with the folder I can see it, but then I just get an “object not found” area when entering the folder.

Any ideas??

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

EBear

Total Posts:  3

I have exactly the same problem. But tell me, are we supposed to see a folder called install anywhere on the root directory?

Magento Community
Magento Community

deeve007

Total Posts:  2

No, there is no actual “install” folder in your folder tree, that comes form a URL rewrite during installation.

I finally got it to install, using God knows how many hacks and changes that I tracked down through searching through this site - changes to php.ini, to Apache files, to .htaccess… etc.

I really don’t want to be having the same sort of installation issues for every installation, otherwise Avactis might be the best e-comm option to stick with. If the Megento guys sort out the install issues then that will be a major obstacle overcome.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EBear

Total Posts:  3

I suppose I will keep my cool until magento is stable, I mean easy to install. Otherwise, I will stick to Virtuematt for all my e-commerce applications. However, I love the demo on this magento site and would really appreciate if somebody worked on the installation.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Turnkeye

Total Posts:  908
URL: turnkeye.com

deeve007 - 21 November 2007 12:33 AM

otherwise Avactis might be the best e-comm option to stick with. If the Megento guys sort out the install issues then that will be a major obstacle overcome.

I use Avactis.com shopping cart for my projects, it is great (open source) shopping cart for web designers. The installation is simple and ajax based, its actually looks like the installation of the Windows program smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community