Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Images. 

Dave Walker

Total Posts:  20

I’m importing many products into Magento and I’m having success doing so by manipulating the CSV file.

Because all product images are pretty much the same, can I import my products so that they all point at one image or do I have to import an image for each product? 

Thanks

Dave

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dave Walker

Total Posts:  20

Ok… just a bump....

What I really need to know is what the process is to to import images with the products!

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Dave

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

Total Posts:  91

Put your images in the media/import folder. Make sure to resize all of them in advance. Search this message board going back a while and you will find posts with directions for this. Search through my old posts and you may find some I posted in previously.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lnxusr

Total Posts:  8

Dave, Magento dynamically resizes images, no need to resize them yourself.  You can use one image for multiple products by using the same filename.  For example to use one image for two products and a second for the third, set the fields in the csv file like so:

product       image           small_image     thumbnail
product1      
/image1.jpg     /image1.jpg     /image1.jpg
product2      
/image1.jpg     /image1.jpg     /image1.jpg
product3      
/image2.jpg     /image2.jpg     /image2.jpg

Using the same image for ‘small_image’ and ‘thumbnail’ as the main image will make Magento dynamically resize it where needed.  The image files go into media/import, and don’t forget the forward slash in front of the image name in the csv file.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community