Allright, lets brainstorm in this thread of features that you would like to see in Magento. I’ll start.
- Completely customizable and unlimited order statuses with different e-mail body text.
I currently have this, and have found it to be GREATLY beneficial. Such items to note account payment methods is by far my most useful asset.
‘Payment Reminder’ -> ‘Payment Acknowledged (Internet Banking / Cheque / Cash) ->’Completed’ can benefit many.
- Checkout could use less steps, and merge some steps, like shipping information and shipping method
Johan runs an e-comm store like many of us, he’s shown me the facts on paper. Personally I would wish to have a shorter checkout, after all the customer can fill in extra details upon next visit (I KNOW it’s not the way...but it works )
- META description to be filled with 233 characters of text including three dots (...) (max amount in Google) using the product description if left empty.
- META keywords to be filled in with product name and category name, comma separated if left empty
- META robots control per object
Not 100% sure what you mean there mate.
- Ability to hide category, product or CMS page but still be active by using full url
I’m guessing that this will allow the administrator sometime to edit various products without taking them off-line (and therefore a 404)
Maybe an automatic unavailable status upon administrator ‘edit’ for the duration of the edit, or 20minute time-out?
- Instead of only allowing Google Analytics, add a textbox where you can paste in any custom tracking code you’d like which will be included on the checkout page (or any other conversion page)
Google Analytics adds 20kB to page load times, here in Australia it makes a big difference when you consider most people are stuck on 256k lines.
- Ability to have surcharges for payment options, with customizable names with absolute and percent rates and taxes (a must have for Scandinavian e-commerce)
Paypal payments are such a PITA we hate offering it, charges can be high as 10% depending on the circumstance (Been burned to don’t try to prove otherwise ) Currently we have a paypal surcharge on our store.
- Ability to create order for customer and send link to their email to confirm purchase with payment
Straight to the customer’s registration detail page with the order being shown first, VERY good idea if little Johnny purchases stuff
- PDF generated invoice
Motion granted, although I’ld prefer text + PDF as most people *still* don’t have adobe reader
- Ability to mass print PDF invoices and shipping labels
Great idea to keep a library of complete sales, invoices, shipping information, fraudulent orders etc
- Automated daily currency update
If you guys use this, another reason for me to start bugging for a release candidate. Currently I’m having to manually set exchange rates between the Euro, USD, AUD, RMB and consider the multiplication between this numbers everyday?
- When changing password, require to enter old password as added security measure
Makes perfect sense if someone tends to leave their PC at a financial risk that I don’t want to deal with (presuming customer side)
- Automated backups with possibility to filetransfer automatically via SSH and FTP to another server
A Cronjob is something I’ld prefer myself, I’ve had a great failure working with ‘application’ level backup facilities,
Most trouble I’m going to have is that CPanel hates FXP so it’s going to be impossible on my own server from memory
- Ability to share a common checkout using the same SSL-certificate and a default gateway domain, ability to change colors and the logo to match each site
shop.businessnetwork.com you mean?
- Ability to use product templates when creating products with prefilled values such as default tax, ability to specify a default template and a list to choose from
AMEN! For my own use : All Brake Rotors need product dimensions and ABS/NON-ABS markings so this will save me hours of work.
NEXT PAGE -> Character Limit :(