Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

“$string” parameter for simplexml_load_string is empty

dftho1

Total Posts:  5

Hi guys, how’s it going?

Sorry I’m having a problem with Magento, this message comes up when I try to load up install.php

Link can be found at --> ( http://www.axlewhitehead.com/shop/install.php )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There has been an error processing your request.

“$string” parameter for simplexml_load_string is empty
Trace:
#0 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/lib/Varien/Simplexml/Config.php(482): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadString(’’, ‘Mage_Core_Model...’)
#1 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(251): Varien_Simplexml_Config->loadFile(’/home/axlewhit/...’)
#2 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(165): Mage_Core_Model_Config->_loadDeclaredModules(Object(Mage_Core_Model_Config_Base))
#3 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(230): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#4 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/app/Mage.php(397): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(’default’, ‘store’, Array)
#5 /home/axlewhit/public_html/shop/install.php(118): Mage::app(’default’)
#6 {main}

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but I’m new to all this so really have no idea how to resolve this, any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,
Dan

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

I have the same thing.  I installed Mage before and it was fine, but I have to re-install.  I deleted the old stuff, re-uploaded, and now install won’t run.  Didn’t have this prob the first time

Magento Community
Magento Community

Michae1
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  826

TapTapper - 19 October 2008 06:49 AM

I have the same thing.  I installed Mage before and it was fine, but I have to re-install.  I deleted the old stuff, re-uploaded, and now install won’t run.  Didn’t have this prob the first time

What is you PHP version ? Can you please also post the error message you got ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

TapTapper

Total Posts:  21
Hudson Valley, NY, US

Thanks for the reply Michael!  But I’m all set now. 

It finally went installed.  It was all permissions problems: various index.php files need 644, various folders need 755.  There are lots of posts about permissions problems, so I went through them all and adjusted accordingly.

Then after the install my admin header buttons were all dead.  I switched the permissions back, deleted everything invar/cache, then turned off caching in cache Mgmt.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community