Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Using web service API for product updates

gbear

Total Posts:  19

I’m using the web services/SOAP API to keep product qty/prices up to date and add new ones as things change in a daily csv export from an old point of sale system.  The web service processing to update works well, and is handy to point a cron job to, but is only able to get through about 100 products in 20 minutes.  Seems unusually slow.  The file has about 11K products in it, so inventory updates we used to do 3 times a day in 10 minutes will now take over 3.5 hours per update and presumably be consuming server resources that whole time.

Was hoping to optimize things using a single product.list call and an array compare - so only update those products where price/qty have changed.  But neither price or qty are included return values from that call. 

I think the next option would be writing a module inside Magento which might go faster.  But I’m not really finding a foothold in the documentation or forums on how to do that.  Any pointers in the right direction or sample code on ways to optimize this update process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
-Greg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

We are experiencing the exact same problem. Our export from a retail system we’re integrating towards is very slow. We think the problem is in the API for product.info (and others).

Have you found any solution how to optimize this?

Maybe Varien has some more information about this?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community