Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Imports for Updates don’t seem to process updated descriptions or other text fields

robzero

Total Posts:  15

We have a reasonable sized catalogue on our magento implementation but have been having huge issues with text field truncation, which we think we’ve solved with an amount of jiggery pokery with excel and access to manipulate the source data files, but we now have one final hurdle to get over…

When updating data using the file upload profile - IT DOESN’T UPDATE THE DESCRIPTIONS or other text datatype fields!  No matter what we change about the product we can’t trigger this to change!

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

I am not sure if this helps, but I have had consistent success uploading data with quite long description fields, both importing, exporting and reimporting, and unlike a lot of posts I see, I always use xml files not csv.  I f you have excel then try using xml file types, its a lot easier.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lorik

Total Posts:  81
Grenoble

Hi,

With profil management in Magento, are you sure that datas you input are able to update Magento ? I thaught that Profil only Insert datas, not update.

Magento Community
Magento Community

webbuddy

Total Posts:  41
Australia

lorik - 29 August 2008 01:56 AM

Hi,

With profil management in Magento, are you sure that datas you input are able to update Magento ? I thaught that Profil only Insert datas, not update.

Once a product is created, any imported data of a product that already exists (ie has a unique sku) will update that product, not duplicate it.  That is my understanding of how it should work and it is my experience of how it does work.  For importing updates to existing products always specify store/sku and whatever fields require updating.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community